Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2022 00:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 15 7590, Memory Integrity on causes an inaccessible boot device

Hey all,

Just wanted to report a minor bug with a fresh install on Windows 11 22H2 on XPS 15 7590.

When trying to turn on Memory Integrity under Device Security / Core Isolation, upon next reboot i get a blue screen with Inaccessible Boot Device.

Yes, I'm using the latest Intel Chipset Drivers and XPS 15 7590 firmware.

Yes my Windows 11 is up to date.

expired on August 2, 2020. DELL-Admin>

February 8th, 2023 02:00

I find myself in exactly the same boat. Bitlocker is a requirement and I work daily with docker and/or WSL2. Now I (and my CEO and my CTO) have a laptop that isn't even three years old and can no longer be used with the latest windows without compromising on these features.

Dell say "too old, we don't care". I see this as a huge risk in the future and it is hard to form an opinion that Dell is still the best supplier for our company.

3 Posts

February 10th, 2023 03:00

I've been chatting with Dell support for this issue as I am under warranty still. The response has not been overwhelming, so far they have suggested a system reset, a windows reset, that I check my drivers, and that I check my bios. As far as I can tell there is no way to enable VT for Direct I/O without causing an inaccessible boot device issue, and no-one from Dell Support seems to have any handle on this issue. So I wouldn't be hopeful of a positive outcome, and I'd be looking elsewhere apart from Dell for future systems.

1 Message

February 12th, 2023 15:00

I'm disappointed that the XPS 15 7590 is not fully compatible with Windows 11, but I'm more disappointed that Dell seem to not care, even for those who have active warranties.  I have concluded, then, that I need to replace my 7590 with a non-Dell machine.  On the bright side, this will give me a chance to get a laptop with a better thermal profile.

33 Posts

February 14th, 2023 03:00

There is a new BIOS update (version 1.20.0) available, but it does NOT solve the problem we all have! Just for the ones that are hopefully trying to update for this problem, be prepared for another disappointment.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=438kv&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-7590-laptop

• 

25.1K Posts

February 14th, 2023 04:00

Hello, I am Dell Virtual Assistant. I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private/direct message with us, and we will be happy to assist you.

February 14th, 2023 04:00

This situation is truly getting ridicolous.... I can't get how Dell can ignore something of this impact.

106 Posts

February 14th, 2023 07:00

Thought...

In an earlier post did I read that the technical support people did not have access to a XPS 15 7590 and were asking to "capture" a machine to take a look at it?

Well, if they don't have access to this particular laptop model, how can they test that any updated Bios actually resolves this issue before its released??

Regards,

M

106 Posts

February 14th, 2023 07:00

Greetings all

I too can confirm - 

I have updated the bios to new version 1.20.0

Have downloaded the latest version of 22H2 using the Microsoft media creation tool

Have 2 virtualisation settings enabled in the bios

Formatted my SSD and installed the clean/fresh version of said 22H2

Result - regrettably, and disappointingly, I have to report back that the critical error Memory Integrity on  & Enable VT for direct I/O still causes an inaccessible boot device we are all experiencing here

It has NOT been resolved

33 Posts

February 14th, 2023 08:00

Thought...

Because Dell has several models with precisely the same issue, a solution for one of them could be a solution for all. Thereby they have released a new bios with security vulnerabilities and exposures, would they deliver a new bios without testing to us?

106 Posts

February 15th, 2023 01:00

Hi

The reason why I put forward the thought was because when I did the fresh install- 

After the installation came the reboot, before the configuration of W11 i.e wifi, login to MS A/C, but immediately after that reboot- the blue screen  Inaccessible Boot Device appeared, then it rebooted again before entering the configuration phase.

That means the BSOD was shown even before any user involvement so it is "unusual" to say it can't be replicated if it is truly being tested on a 7590 machine, no?

16 Posts

February 15th, 2023 07:00

My previous comment was deleted because of criticism.

I'll be nicer this time.....Do better DELL!

8 Posts

February 15th, 2023 23:00

This is a shocker. If the platform team can't be bothered to properly support "premium" devices that Dell still provides warranty for, then I don't think I can be bothered to purchase any more of their products, nor recommend them to my clients.

At this point it looks like the only way to run Windows on these 7590 models and still get security updates after 10th October 2023 is to downgrade to Windows 10 and get another 2 years out of it.

1 Message

February 16th, 2023 06:00

Does anyone know if dell has fixed this issue? We shouldn't have to disable anything to use a computer that costs nearly $2k. I've gotten the blue screen lately and ended up changing out the hard drive. Dell lost lots of cool points on this one. 

8 Posts

February 17th, 2023 17:00

You changed the hard drive?

Are you talking about the same issue, not able to update to Windows 22h2 with virtualization enabled ? 

5 Posts

February 18th, 2023 07:00

Just a quick update. My XPS is under warrantee, so I offered the machine back to Dell as per their request on this forum. After a lot of backwards and forwards they instead offered to replace the motherboard. I can confirm this did not resolve the issue. I will attempt to re-open the chat with support next week again.

No Events found!