Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2020 16:00

XPS 15 7590 Thunderbolt 3 issues

Hi

I have a Startech TB3 - TB2 adaptor that I've been using with my old XPS 9560 & 9570 without issue, however I simply cannot get it to work on my new 7590.  So far I have done the following:

Ensured TB3 is enabled in the BIOS
Updated TB Chipset & Windows driver
Updated Thunderbolt Control Centre

When I connect the adaptor it doesn't pop up in the control center asking for authorization, I even tried turning authorization off in the BIOS which didn't do anything.  Basically if I connect it literally nothing happens.  Yet plug it into a MacBookPro and boom, works straight away.  I use the machine in the office with a WD19 dock so the port is good.

Any suggestions for what I'm missing?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 19th, 2020 19:00

@RBird84  There are a lot of reports about newer XPS 15s not working with the Apple Thunderbolt Display, which of course requires using a TB3 to TB2 adapter.  With older XPS 15s, this was resolved by enabling a BIOS option in the Thunderbolt Configuration section called "BIOS Assist Enumeration", which allowed the display to work.  But for whatever reason, that option was removed from newer XPS 15s.  And thus far, I've seen several reports of people with newer XPS 15s having this problem, but nobody having reported a fix.  And I haven't seen any official response from Dell about this even to acknowledge the issue, never mind providing any technical explanation as to why that option is missing, whether it could even potentially be brought back, etc.  So unfortunately you might be stuck here.

• 

25.7K Posts

September 19th, 2020 16:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

4 Posts

September 20th, 2020 00:00

Well I hope that isn't the case, otherwise I have a $3500 paperweight!

I'm fairly certain I have that option available in the bios, will give it a go and see if helps.

4 Posts

September 21st, 2020 00:00

@jphughan Enabling BIOS Assist Enumeration and rebooting with the device connected did the trick, up and running now, thanks.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 21st, 2020 06:00

@RBird84  Glad to hear the 7590 has that option. But just be aware that the newer XPS 15 9500 definitely does not, at least as of this writing. It’s unclear whether that's something that can be added via firmware update.

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2020 17:00

Turns out I spoke too soon.  The interface is identifying now but is jittery in performance and glitching all over the place.

Setup my 9550 next to it and it works flawlessly, not having any luck with this new machine  

No Events found!