106 Posts

October 21st, 2022 04:00

XPS 15 7590 - cannot install Hyper V on Windows 22H2 causes Critical Error

XPS 15 7590

XPS 15 7590

I have a XPS 15 7590 

I have completed a clean, fresh installation of Windows 22H2

I have all the latest updates from Windows Update

I have all the updates from Dell including the latest BIOS 1.19.0 (14/9/22)

STEPS TAKEN:

the new 22H2 installation is downloaded to a USB, and installs fine, however, when 

Windows is initializing the blue screen critical error Inaccessible Boot Device appears.

After a moment the PC restarted ,Windows continued to set-up and continued through the stages until it reached the desktop.

>>THEN - - do nothing more than the following steps<<

When selected Apps>Optional Features> select Hyper V --

Hyper V installs and then the PC reboots to finish off, and restart. It reboots you get the blue screen critical error Inaccessible Boot Device.

From that point, however many times the PC restarts, it tries to repair or recover, but the message critical error Inaccessible Boot Device is displayed. 

This critical error ONLY starts once you have installed the Additional Feature - Hyper V and I have been able to replicate this problem many times by following the steps above - each time with a fresh installation of 22H2 with all Windows updates and all Dell updates

So:

1) Clean install 22H2 on XPS 15 7590

2) Ensure all Windows updates and Dell Updates are installed

3) Install Hyper V - from Apps>Optional Features> select Hyper V

4) Hyper V installs and creates critical error when rebooting -  Inaccessible Boot Device (Hyper V does not install)

Please can someone at Dell try out the exact steps above to replicate the critical error

And can you advise

Kind regards and thanks,

M

457 Posts

October 21st, 2022 19:00

Please read this forum post, if you have the same issue make a post there so more people see it. https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-7590-Memory-Integrity-on-causes-an-inaccessible-boot/td-p/8273941

106 Posts

October 22nd, 2022 00:00

Hi 

Many thanks for the link regarding the Memory Integrity issue raised in that post

However,

For me, that was an intermittent issue that I also experienced in 22H2 but as it didn't stop me from working, it was an inconvenience which I chose to ignore at that time.

Im more than happy to add my voice to that issue too having experienced it.

That said, the issue I have raised above is a completely different problem which stops the installation of Hyper V from Apps>Optional Features, and so stops me from working.

Furthermore, on a XPS 15 7590 it is so easy to replicate, time and time again, by following the simple 4 steps below:

1) Clean install 22H2 on XPS 15 7590

2) Ensure all Windows updates and Dell Updates are installed

3) Install Hyper V - from Apps>Optional Features> select Hyper V

4) Hyper V installs and creates critical error when rebooting -  Inaccessible Boot Device (Hyper V does not install)

Therefore, this should remain a new post/thread as a new issue which needs to be investigated further

Thanks and Kind regards,

M

106 Posts

October 22nd, 2022 01:00

Interestingly, Ive observed that when you install a clean version of 22H2 on a XPS 15 7590 Bitlocker is switched on by default - without the user switching it on

Also, in the Event Viewer I have seen a critical error which states "Bootmgr failed to obtain the BitLocker volume master key from the TPM"

is that helpful to anyone?

457 Posts

October 22nd, 2022 09:00

If I remember the two issues are interlinked somehow (Hyper V and memory integrity). W11 does enable bitlocker by default on the system in my experience. But if you're getting TPM related issues, you can further investigate in both the BIOS and by running tpm.msc (report back any findings)

106 Posts

October 22nd, 2022 09:00

Hi 

Thanks for that, interestingly in the Security Processor troubleshooting there is an error message which states "A firmware update is needed for your security processor (TPM).

But looking at the tpm.msc it appears to be working fine

(To clear the TPM and reset to default, then reinstall 22H2 and follow the 4 steps I mentioned earlier will have to wait until the morning - Ill let you know how it goes then)

Kind regards,

M

106 Posts

October 23rd, 2022 03:00

Have installed a clean version of 22H2 with all updates from Windows Update as well as Dell SupportAssist.

the error message - A firmware update is needed for your security processor (TPM) is still present

Also have cleared TPM and reset to default - this has made no difference either, the error message is still present 

Completed the 4 steps above and again - Tried to install Hyper V and still got the critical error  Inaccessible Boot Device

Hope Dell can be resolved as soon as

Kind regards,

M

457 Posts

October 23rd, 2022 04:00

Does Windows pick up the TPM as 1.2 or 2.0? and this error message is appearing in Windows or BIOS? (about the TPM needing a firmware update).

106 Posts

October 23rd, 2022 04:00

Hi,

The error is in Windows:-

Go to Windows Security>Device security>Security processor>Security processor details>Security processor troubleshooting

An error message is given as A firmware Update is needed for your security processor (TPM)

The version of TPM is 

Greencat1_0-1666525455719.png

Hope that helps

457 Posts

October 24th, 2022 05:00

Do you have a screenshot of the error? Thanks for the screenshot of the TPM specs, you took it from tpm.msc?

106 Posts

October 24th, 2022 07:00

Hi

Here are the 2 errors as requested:

TPM Error.jpg

BSOD.jpg

Thanks

M

106 Posts

October 24th, 2022 10:00

can you see the screen shots ok? I can only see them when I log in

M

457 Posts

October 25th, 2022 07:00

Yes I am able to see the screenshots. Send a screenshot of tpm.msc (open run and type tpm.msc and then hit enter). What does the "learn more" link next to the message about firmware update open?

106 Posts

October 25th, 2022 09:00

I did reset the TPM but it made no difference

In the Windows Feedback Hub there are now 25 upvotes from people who have the same model of XPS 15 7590 who are unable to install the 22H2

Regards,

M

106 Posts

106 Posts

Hi

Here is the TPM screenshot

tpm-msc.jpg

No Events found!