Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2020 05:00

XPS 15 9500 randomly freezing (known issue)

Hey guys, I got my xps 15 couple days ago and I have been having a freezing issue that happens in many situations including when I was using eclipse or when I was using the internet browser or even when I walked out for 5min and came back to the computer which wasn't doing anything and every time it seems like the freeze is actually only visually because if you are watching something for example you can still hear the audio in the background. what I found that if u press the sleep bottom and press it again monitor turns of and turns back on again and when I do this it goes back to normal and its fixes it but this is super annoying and I never had such an issue with any computer.

also in this link, there are other people which they have xps 9500 and they all have the same issue. I have a replacement device on the way but Im really worried that one might have the same issue since this seems to be a known issue and many people are suffering from this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/hch4f4/dell_xps_15_9500_screen_freezing/

So far I tried doing a clean install on windows, uninstalling Nvidia graphic driver, intel graphic driver uninstalling and testing different versions and testing dell monitor driver and trying to remove it and going back to windows generic but so far nothing has worked.If someone knows a solution please  help me

2 Posts

October 27th, 2020 07:00

Turn off the panel self refresh in both Plugged-In tab and On-Battery tab.

I don't see a Plugged-In tab. When I hit the four squares/power in the bottom part is only "On battery" tab.

And... I have the freeze issues when plugged-in...

2 Posts

October 27th, 2020 11:00

Sorry did only read the last post. 

October 28th, 2020 09:00

Mine only has the on battery tab

1 Message

October 31st, 2020 21:00

Apparently on mine it's an MECHANICAL issue. 

Try this, lift the laptop by holding one corner only, try the right one and it's consistently freezing because the case flexes and something is going on with that... this, by plugged in or not.

I can replicate this consistently. If the machine stays on a table, no freezes.... pick it up, do a bit of case flexing... bam...

Try with yours, maybe it's not just mine...

1 Message

November 3rd, 2020 12:00

There is no button for the plug in mode. The on/off button is under on battery tab. Where is the setting for the plug in mode? Thanks!

1 Message

November 7th, 2020 13:00

I have same issue too! I've been trying to figure this out for a few months. I need help too!!

3 Posts

November 25th, 2020 07:00

Great tip, thanks!

This seems to have worked for me, as I haven't experienced any screen freezes during the past two days (before: several times every day).

My model includes both the Intel and the NVIDIA graphic chip.

1 Message

November 27th, 2020 01:00

[solution]

I had this problem as well in my brand new XPS15 with Nvidia GTX 1650 Ti. While playing games, it was freezing once every 20 minutes on average, which drove me mad. What worked as a quick and very temporary fix was to close all apps by Win+D (show desktop) and then it was fine for some time, but it was far from solved. I tried every solution posted here - upgrading drivers, downgrading drivers, installing Intel Graphics Command Center Beta, installing older Nvidia drivers from 13th may, turning off all checkboxes on the Power tab in IGCC - but none of this worked.

However, what seems to be the solution as I haven't had a single freeze in 2 days even when playing games, was to install Intel Graphics Control Panel (not Command Center which I uninstalled) from the Microsoft Store and there I unchecked the "Panel refresh" checkbox. I hope it will stay without freezes for a long long time.

2 Posts

November 27th, 2020 07:00

In the new version of the Intel graphics command center, the self refresh option is only under "on battery", there is no longer an option "while plugged in". I am going crazy right know. I cannot solve this issue and the computer is useless. 

5 Posts

December 4th, 2020 05:00

Glad I found this thread - thought I was crazy.   Unboxed my just shipped XPS 9500 and within 10 minutes of setup it froze.  Have both the Intel and Nvidia controllers.   Unset the Panel Self Refresh  and Extend Battery Life for Gaming in the installed Intel Graphics Command Center (1.100.2970.0).  Also, extended the time to sleep.  So far so good.

5 Posts

December 4th, 2020 08:00

spoke too soon of course...  after a couple of hours listening to music, came back to the notebook and found it frozen (though the audio was still streaming as others have mentioned).

I had made sure my power button puts the system to "sleep" - so pressed the button - it went to sleep (audio stopped), then clicked the power button again.  It woke up and continued streaming my music - so a couple seconds of missed music in this case. But really!?

5 Posts

December 5th, 2020 06:00

I uninstalled the Intel Graphics Command Center, poked around Intel's website to find the link to a Microsoft.com copy of Intel Graphics Control Panel (it does not show at all in Microsoft Store) and installed it.   Went under Power settings and disabled Panel Self-Refresh, Display Power Saving Technology, and Extended Battery Life for Gaming (I am usually plugged in) and don't need any of these.  It ran for the rest of the day without freezing.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2020 08:00

@monmor  do you have a link to the thing you downloaded?

1 Message

December 8th, 2020 17:00

Same issue with my XPS 9500. I changed Windows to Ubuntu, and the issue is gone. 

5 Posts

December 8th, 2020 18:00

This is from Intel's website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055711/graphics.html

which points you to Microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/intel-graphics-control-panel/9ndlclmmtmrc?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

remember to turn off the power saving features (especially Panel Self-Refresh) after swapping out this software.  

I have not had it freeze since switching the control software.

No Events found!