Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

12 Posts

August 13th, 2021 03:00

XPS 15 - 9510 - Touchpad - Intermittent touchpad lag

Hi,I had a touchpad issue with my XPS 15 9510,The touchpad is intermittently laggy and inaccurate. The problem does occur on Windows and Linux both. While in the bad state, the cursor moves more slowly and it's much more difficult to make precise movements.

I captured a Xorg log (event11 - DLL0945:00 04F3:311C Touchpad: kernel bug: Touch jump detected and discarded) When Touchpad cursor lag happen in Linux. The same problem happens while running Windows 10 or Windows 11.

I've tried disable i2c_hid pm in windows and still problems.

I found something related Discussions :

1. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/618#note_947995
2. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/636
3. https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/comments/ofbzg3/dell_xps_15_9510_experience/h5ddy07/

Is it a hardware problem or a software problem ?

12 Posts

September 11th, 2021 01:00

I followed the steps below to test the effect of the touchpad on windows, and there was no delay. It seems to be fixed for Windows, but the problem still exists on Linux.

1) Update the latest touchpad firmware
2)bios settings
1. close M.2 PCIe SSD-2(linux installed)
2. enable M.2 PCIe SSD-1(Windows Installed)
3. delete grub boot in boot options
4. apply changes

2) Turn off the notebook and wait for 1 minute before starting(https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/618#note_1049851)

3) The test is about 30 minutes, the touchpad lag problem did not appear

It seems that this problem has been solved in supported Windows. But the problem still exists on non-supported Linux. Dell does not provide Linux system technical support for the XPS 15 9510 model. If you have any questions, you can discuss it on the link below.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/issues/618

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 14th, 2021 12:00

For windows machine uses a Precision touch and stock drivers from Microsoft. 

XPS 9510 is fairly a new model and should be in warranty. If the issue is happening on both win 10 and UBUNTU, there is no point assuming it a software issue. 

seek replacement from Dell. 

12 Posts

August 17th, 2021 06:00

The problem persisted after the trackpad was replaced,It may be at a lower level and resolved by upgrading the BIOS. Dell tech should take this seriously. On Ubuntu Live USB environmentre , Just "Keep drawing circles with the touchpad " can produce the issue . the error log (event11 - DLL0945:00 04F3:311C Touchpad: kernel bug: Touch jump detected and discarded) will appear in the log file(~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log)

5 Posts

August 17th, 2021 08:00

I have the same issue, the mouse seems to lag and become delayed for about 15 seconds at least once a day. I don't think it is mechanical however because the trackpad works fine. During the 15 seconds when the mouse is "lagging", I can still use the left and right click. I don't want to have it replaced as I am going to start college soon and the replacement won't come in time.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 17th, 2021 21:00

@Dou Tu  Though most will deny,  my personal experience says In Live USB environment UBUNUTU runs on Reduced performance and doesn't have complete system functionality 

Machine has a very Fast NVME SSD and I would recommend partitioning it and install UBUNTU instead of running the Live USB. 

Dell or any other OEM won't support issues on Live USB. I am running UBNUTU and some other Linux distros on various XPS models since 2015. I won't say that I didn't have any issues, but certainly something as basic as Touchpad hasn't given me any issues. 

Again continue your testing on both Windows and Linux environment. But tech support will always insist windows environment  

12 Posts

August 18th, 2021 02:00

The Windows environment will not have any logging, It's Just sticky experience. I'm tested with arch linux(partition and install) and the results were the same ,There is no difference between the two environments when testing the touchpad lag. The live USB environment Just to allow techman to quickly reproduce the problem. In addition,Dell Precision 5560(The hardware  is similar to the XPS 9510) certified on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS  links:https://ubuntu.com/certified/202104-28907/20.04%20LTS .

3 Posts

August 21st, 2021 15:00

I'm experiencing the same issue with the 9510 on both Windows 11 and Fedora 34. Have you found any solution yet? 

Thanks,
Michael

12 Posts

August 21st, 2021 18:00

Wait for the new bios version release. If the problem is still not solved, continue to apply for the replacement of the touchpad. If your problem is solved, please leave a comment.

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2021 18:00

Hmm thank you for the feedback. I have had my 9510 for less than two weeks. Besides the touchpad intermittent lag, I really like it a lot. Has there been any official acknowledgement by Dell on this issue? I upgraded my laptop to the 1.4.0 bios, Windows 11 and set it up to dual boot Fedora 34 the night I got it.

Thanks,
Michael

1 Message

August 27th, 2021 10:00

I'm also having this issue with Fedora 34 on my XPS 15 9510. Good to know that this issue isn't localized to Linux - gives me more hope that it will be addressed.

1 Message

August 31st, 2021 02:00

I'm experiencing the same issue with my XPS 15 9510 on Pop!_OS 21.04 dual boot with Windows 10. 

3 Posts

September 1st, 2021 11:00

Has anyone received any acknowledgement from Dell on this issue? My 30 days is almost up and I must say the interaction with Dell employees via private message on the community forum has been ridiculously unhelpful. I opened a support case but no real help there either. 

12 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 06:00

Nope, Dell suggested replacing the touchpad again, I feel that the problem is not in the hardware, I am waiting for the new version of the bios to be released for the next test.

• 

16.7K Posts

September 2nd, 2021 06:00

Dou Tu,
Thank you for the update.

September 3rd, 2021 19:00

I rolled back to libinput 1.17 and it certainly has cleaned up the jittery feel compared to 1.18 but the lock-up issue persists.  The problem is so easy to duplicate and occurs across several Dell models so I hope they treat this with the urgency it deserves and come up with a solution soon.  

No Events found!