Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2022 14:00

XPS 15 9520, hibernate doesn't work

XPS 15 9520

XPS 15 9520

Hello,

This has been an issue since the beginning. Laptop cannot wake up from hibernate. When I press power button while laptop is in hibernation, it shows the Dell sign, then shuts down. Pressing the power button again just starts/restarts (all apps closed) the laptop. I am using Windows 11. All drivers and Windows are up to date.

Capture.JPG

9 Posts

September 13th, 2022 14:00

Updated the bios to 1.6.0. Still the same. I want to try AHCI but don't have time yet.

15 Posts

September 15th, 2022 02:00

Guessing you meant version 1.5?

So you're running with RAID, and having the same problems as me with AHCI? This would mean it's not related to disk driver, and happens on both.

15 Posts

September 15th, 2022 05:00

With regards to "Fast Startup".

From what I've understood this is using the same way of storing parts of the system state and drivers to the hibernation file when you perform a cold shutdown, so the next boot is faster. It doesn't save the user state and everything else (which I'm interested in) like it does with power off with hibernate.

Most people doesn't recommend "Fast Startup" if you have a newer machine with SSD, since it can mess with windows updates and new drivers if you shutdown instead of restart, since it might then start up with  old drivers in memory.

And "Fast Startup" on or off shouldn't affect this issue, since it's only used with shutdown.
And how can you validate that it's working as intended? Is there any logs saying it restored the system state and drivers anywhere?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 15th, 2022 05:00

Did you ever enable Fast Startup?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 15th, 2022 06:00

@trf24 I was hoping the OP would respond but turning off Fast Startup turns off the ability to create the Hibernation file, which is necessary for Hibernation.

I don't believe that turning off Fast Startup is a widely accepted configuration.  In my experience, it has been done for a temporary trouble shooting measure but otherwise, it should be left on.

SSHib.JPGHibOn.JPG

15 Posts

September 16th, 2022 11:00

@Saltgrass What's/where's that log you posted?

As far as I can tell, turning off Fast Startup doesn't affect general Hibernate shutdown at all. Why should it?
I have it off now, and hibernating the system writes to the hiberfil.sys file. Problem is that it for some reason gets corrupted after the mentioned patch.

And what are the advantages of having it on? Except saving a few seconds with the inherent risk of driver inconsistency and some other unwanted side effects like uptime being wrong.
Related article which I guess is identical for Win11: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

9 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 12:00

@Saltgrass I had it on in the beginning. I turned it off while troublshooting.

I reinstalled windows and it works now. All latest drivers and windows updates. cc @trf24 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 22:00

@trf24 wrote:

turning off Fast Startup doesn't affect general Hibernate shutdown at all. Why should it?

And what are the advantages of having it on?

I'm with you. I've been turning it off when possible. I'd rather have completely fresh cold-boots and quicker Shut-Downs. 

Still getting 15-20 second boots (to completely loaded and usable Windows Desktop). 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 25th, 2022 23:00

@trf24 wrote:

Debugging Details:
------------------

IMAGE_NAME: stornvme.sys
FAULTING_MODULE: fffff806299e0000 stornvme
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xa0_10e_0xa_HIBERSTACK_INIT_FAILED_IMAGE_stornvme.sys

Check SMART status of C-Drive SSD.

Backup computer.

Repair Install Windows.

Or, just clean-install Windows fresh.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stornvmesys-is-corrupted-and-i-cant-fix-it/8b903387-ea52-4edc-a17f-79759736c868

15 Posts

September 25th, 2022 23:00

@khajvahdpgood for you!

Seems the patch issue happens randomly for some people then.

Sadly I'm not too keen reinstalling Windows and all my applications, so I'm relying on sleep for now. Had to disable hibernate for sleep to work properly. Seems it has some hidden function to hibernate after being at sleep for a while to save some more power, which led to the same problem I have with hibernating directly.
Others experiencing this: https://www.reddit.com/r/DellXPS/comments/uyn59o/xps_15_9520_sleep_issues/

Only issue I have with sleep is it's luke warm and depleting battery if left "off" for a longer time.

If for some reason any Dell technicians are reading this, here are some more debug info that might give a clue to what's wrong:

INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (a0)
The power policy manager experienced a fatal error.
Arguments:
Arg1: 000000000000010e, The disk subsystem returned corrupt data while reading from the
hibernation file.
Arg2: 000000000000000a
Arg3: 0000000000005cfd, Incorrect checksum
Arg4: 0000000000007042, Previous disk read's checksum

Debugging Details:
------------------

IMAGE_NAME: stornvme.sys
FAULTING_MODULE: fffff806299e0000 stornvme
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0xa0_10e_0xa_HIBERSTACK_INIT_FAILED_IMAGE_stornvme.sys

9 Posts

October 11th, 2022 10:00

That makes sense. I might have gotten 22h2 when I reinstalled the windows, which fixed the issue. I will mark this as a solution.

2 Posts

February 1st, 2023 04:00

I have solved my issue by finding out who is stopping windows PC from sleep.

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 04:00

On 30 x XPS 9520 running Win 11 22H1 last year this was caused by me changing the storage controller to run in AHCI mode (as we'd always done on laptops) before installing Windows.

The problem was indeed caused by some kind of bug in stornvme.sys per your debug output above.

We changed the BIOS over to use RAID mode (Intel RST) and that sorted the problem. You can do this without reinstalling Windows if you install the RST driver and prepare the registry before you change the BIOS. You might also need to inject the RST driver into your Windows install.wim and also the recovery.wim

I did also read that there's some kind of performance boost to using RST on newer PCIe SSDs too so it might not be such a bad thing after all.

But if 22H2 fixes the stornvme then great

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 08:00

check the power plan on your device to make sure that it is set to allow hibernation. Go to Control Panel > Power Options, select the desired power plan, and click on "Change plan settings". If these steps do not resolve the issue, you may want to try a system restore or reinstalling the operating system.

No Events found!