Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

February 8th, 2018 10:00

XPS 15 (9550) battery replacement problem

I bought my Dell XPS 15 in 2015 in the USA. After 1.5 years, my battery started swelling as reported in several threads. I was returned to Europe (Hungary) then, but immediately contacted the local service center and they removed the swollen battery. Now I am using the laptop without battery.

I found recently the Product Bulletin at https://www.dellproduct.com/Program.aspx?PI=Y1GZ2GvfmoM%3D

I was glad to hear about this option, since the Dell Service Partner in my country offered to order a new battery for 160 USD without making sure that the swelling will not occur again. I almost accepted their offer when I stumbled in the Product Bulletin in the Dell community forums.

But my problem starts here, unfortunately I could not finish the process. I could verify my laptop, but after filling and submitting the contact information I got an error message: "refresh or visit the page later". Of course, refreshing and later visit did not help. I tried to restart the whole process from the beginning, but I can not go through at the verification step because the status is "Verification already completed". I can not go back to any later step. I wrote emails to the the given support contact addresses (Dell_Product_Bulletin_EMEA) but I haven't receive any answer since a month ago.

I did complete the ownership transfer so that could not be the problem.

The local service partner of Dell is not aware of the Product Bulletin and did not even comment that this option exist. I tried to renew the warranty for the laptop (since it is expired) through them but they keep telling me that they submitted the request to Dell and they haven't receive any answer (since 6 months ago).

To summarize my problems: The Product Bulletin submission does not work for me and I have no idea how I can proceed it. The local service of Dell does not help in the process. They can't even arrange the warranty renewal.

I am wondering what else I can do, or who can I contact in order to solve this problem.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

February 8th, 2018 12:00

The problem is that the system was sold in the US - and the service campaign is US-based.  It's likely that to use the service plan, the system will need to be returned to Dell in the US for repair.

3 Posts

February 11th, 2018 13:00

According to the responses in this thread, the replacement program is not USA-specific: https://www.dell.com/community/General/Swelling-XPS-15-9550-batteries/td-p/5180839

The ownership transfer to my country is completed, so that could not be the problem.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2018 08:00

I really hope that Dell wakes up and make up for their mistakes. I am also facing the same problem but it seems Dell is ignoring the problems of people. 

3 Posts

February 13th, 2018 11:00

The battery arrived from UPS today unexpectedly. It seems that the replacement program works even if there is not much feedback about the status of the process. I did not even know that my request was submitted successfully. I received a package with the battery and an email asking me to send back the old battery. I am so relieved.

The next challenge is to extend the warranty. It seems that the local service partner in my country has problems with that too.

2 Posts

June 6th, 2018 04:00

Same issue here with my xps 15 9550. Had contact with Dell customer support to replace the battery and the touchpad.
Had to block all day for the repair.... haven't seen anybody from Dell.
It appeared something IT related went wrong at Dell, so made another appointment. 
Again, waited all day for nothing!! 
They suggested to make another appointment but I can't afford to spend a full day waiting for nothing. (I need to be mobile for work)
Thanks for nothing Dell Netherlands ;-( 

This means my backup laptop (a Microsoft Surface) now becomes my primary device....

1 Message

September 26th, 2018 10:00

I had same battery problem on an XPS 13 - battery swelled and broke the keyboard. My laptop was still under warranty (by one month) and Dell replaced the battery and keyboard. I was worried about the new battery and spent $340 to extend the warranty for two years. The Dell representative knew that battery issues were why I extended the warranty. One year later more battery problems, but Dell says battery is a limited life item and is only covered for first three months. Shame on Dell.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

September 26th, 2018 12:00

If you purchased a battery from Dell, it'll have a 12-month warranty.  If this was a warranty replacment battery, the warranty is 90 days or the remainder of the system warranty - whichever comes first.  Extended warranties OTHER THAN batteries with pre-paid 3-year warranties do not cover batteries - and these are generally only available on Latitude system, not on consumer systems.

1 Message

November 19th, 2018 14:00

thnk you for nothing dellthnk you for nothing dell
My experience: dell dont mind about your problem. 

I bought my computer in Hong Kong during a trip. They dont care about clients abroad. Im living in the us, they would not replace nothing. I changed ownership adress to my adress in the us... even that.

This computer is the worst. I will never again buy anything from this telemarketing cold corporation.

I have never seen nothing lo quality and annoying as this. Hope this pice of junk dont catch fire in an airplane. 

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

December 12th, 2018 12:00

I had the same issue with my XPS 15 9550.  Swollen battery caused the corner to crack open (sending the screw holding that corner in place flying...) and the trackpad to push open like yours.

It was only when I Googled that I realized this was a known issue with the 9550.  I thought Dell would be good about rectifying the problem, right?

NOPE.  Customer service told me the free replacement offer had already expired.  Since this is a potential safety issue (by their own admission), I removed the defective battery.  So now I have a laptop with no battery.

Very disappointed with Dell over this.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 13th, 2018 03:00

Hi dogrush,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.  

Unfortunately the factory replacement offer for this battery has ended.  Customers wanting a replacement battery (if still available) would have to contact Out of Warranty Services for a paid resolution.  http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

December 13th, 2018 09:00

It would have been helpful to know about the battery replacement offer expiring before it expired.  It sounds like some owners were notified.  I wasn't.

Better yet, if there's a known issue -- like with these batteries -- then the diligent decision by Dell should be for the offer to stay active for an extended, reasonable period of time.  Just like car recalls work.

For safety reasons, I removed the swollen battery.  Now I'm stuck with a laptop without a battery, which means it's not functional without a power outlet nearby, becomes useless for the onsite work I do, and I can't update the BIOS (since the updater insists on a battery being present).

I've owned a lot of laptops in my life and have recommend many more in my role as a technology consultant.  Of all of those laptops, this is the only one that has had a battery issue.

That this happened to a two year old laptop and that Dell has decided to wave off those of us with the issue still occurring is especially disappointing.  I expected more from Dell.

1 Message

January 8th, 2019 12:00

At least they entertained you. Wouldn't even concede that there was a defect problem with the battery (mine is huge!) when I called and spoke with them multiple times. Only wanted to charge, charge, charge to fix it, telling me over and over again my two-year old laptop was out of warranty. Will never buy another Dell product again.

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

January 8th, 2019 13:00

I'm of the same mind.

Stuff happens, sure.  What matters is how a company deals with things if they go sideways.  How Dell handled this situation is like we're bothersome lint that they want to flick off their sleeves rather than customers than bought into a promise of support from a major corporation.

In comparison, look how Apple handled their recent issues with batteries.  They seem to have the ability to look at situations from a customer's perspective.  Dell could learn from them.  Until they do, my money will go elsewhere.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2019 12:00

It's ridiculous how someone can sell an almost 3k laptop with coil whine, bad support for Linux and now...swollen battery?!?!!

Worst thing is I have 2 XPSs and I'm from Ukraine so it's a pain in the back to replace anything even when the warranty covers it. Attaching my battery photo. 

XPSBattery.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

January 13th, 2019 14:00

Agreed.

Your photo doesn't seem to have attached properly, but it probably looks like every other XPS 15 swollen battery -- because there was clearly an issue with them.

No Events found!