Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

February 8th, 2018 10:00

XPS 15 (9550) battery replacement problem

I bought my Dell XPS 15 in 2015 in the USA. After 1.5 years, my battery started swelling as reported in several threads. I was returned to Europe (Hungary) then, but immediately contacted the local service center and they removed the swollen battery. Now I am using the laptop without battery.

I found recently the Product Bulletin at https://www.dellproduct.com/Program.aspx?PI=Y1GZ2GvfmoM%3D

I was glad to hear about this option, since the Dell Service Partner in my country offered to order a new battery for 160 USD without making sure that the swelling will not occur again. I almost accepted their offer when I stumbled in the Product Bulletin in the Dell community forums.

But my problem starts here, unfortunately I could not finish the process. I could verify my laptop, but after filling and submitting the contact information I got an error message: "refresh or visit the page later". Of course, refreshing and later visit did not help. I tried to restart the whole process from the beginning, but I can not go through at the verification step because the status is "Verification already completed". I can not go back to any later step. I wrote emails to the the given support contact addresses (Dell_Product_Bulletin_EMEA) but I haven't receive any answer since a month ago.

I did complete the ownership transfer so that could not be the problem.

The local service partner of Dell is not aware of the Product Bulletin and did not even comment that this option exist. I tried to renew the warranty for the laptop (since it is expired) through them but they keep telling me that they submitted the request to Dell and they haven't receive any answer (since 6 months ago).

To summarize my problems: The Product Bulletin submission does not work for me and I have no idea how I can proceed it. The local service of Dell does not help in the process. They can't even arrange the warranty renewal.

I am wondering what else I can do, or who can I contact in order to solve this problem.

2 Posts

January 17th, 2019 09:00

Ouch, this is a disappointing thread to read after suffering the same battery swelling issue with my 9550.

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

January 17th, 2019 10:00

The disappointing this about this scenario is that it's clear it's not an isolated event.  It's happened (and continues happening) to many of us.

Let this be a factor in future computer buying decisions, I say.  It sure will be for me.

1 Message

March 2nd, 2019 09:00

Same situation i purchased the laptop directly from Dell, I live in the US and i still can not get a replacement battery. The out of warranty support team told me that the program only lasted a year and that i was too late to claim it. Yet I never received a notification the program was ending. Yet when I called out of warranty support they stated many people took advantage of the program and it was my fault for not filling the claim when I had no issue at the time. So now i need to sit with a laptop that I can not use the touchpad and quite frankly is a fire hazard (Note 7 anyone?). Or the other option is to pay to replace the inferior product put in the laptop that is apparently my fault. Great support dell, I guess that's why GE goes with D380's for all of its wind farms dell just doesn't stand by its products. At least for more then a year that is:

Funny I dont see a time span listed in this email?Funny I dont see a time span listed in this email?

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

June 2nd, 2019 13:00

Clearly it's not just awful customer support -- it's a safety issue.

June 2nd, 2019 13:00

Exact same issue. Swelling was noticed a month ago. However the symptoms of swelling (mousepad hard to click) have been around for almost 4 months. Dell didn't care a tad when I called. I was NOT notified of the replacement program despite having registered my XPS 9550 with Dell. Swollen batteries are a fire hazard!

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

July 6th, 2019 16:00

Interesting that my last message was so kindly edited by the moderator.  I wonder what I said that was a violation of the TOU...?

1 Message

August 26th, 2019 14:00

Hey 

We have 3 of this laptop bought for our company. All 3 have the same issue. Battery bulging, The sad part is all 3 laptop have extended warranty ended at June 2019. 

Is there any possibility on replacing these ? 

Thank you

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

October 3rd, 2019 19:00

How does one get battery replacement then?

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

October 4th, 2019 07:00

I had to pay for a replacement battery, despite this being a known issue.

Talk to Dell and don't mince your words.  Whoever decided it would be a good idea to expire the battery recall should be fired.

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

October 4th, 2019 12:00

Contacted dell.. they do not sell this battery...

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

October 4th, 2019 13:00

That would be very frustrating.  Maybe it's a tactic to get you to buy a new computer...

I bought mine from Dell in summer 2018, I think.  You might have to look for a third-party battery.

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

October 4th, 2019 14:00

Which battery did you buy from dell in 2018?  56wh or 84wh or 97wh and how much did you pay?  How is your battery now?  So if your battery wears out, where will you get replacement?

1 Message

December 3rd, 2019 12:00

Has anyone seen these on Ebay? Seem to be authentic Dell batteries they are selling. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-4GVGH-Battery-Dell-XPS-15-9550-Precision-5510-6Cell-84Wh-01P6KD-1P6KD/254209746453?hash=item3b3014e615:g:ozMAAOSw7Hhcv~9j

Curious if these will work and not have the bulging issue? My battery has not failed yet but this is scary to think it can.

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

March 7th, 2020 14:00

Check with Dell sales.  That's how I got a replacement from them.

No Events found!