Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2019 20:00

XPS 15 9550, hard drive not installed

So I purchased my 9550 in June of 2016 and have had no prior hard drive issues. Randomly today when I would close my laptop, which usually puts it in sleep mode, led me to a black screen with the power light lit. I thought this was bizarre and shut down my laptop and rebooted and all was good. I did this maybe two or three times until about an hour ago I was led to a hard drive not installed screen. After trying to find solutions online I switched to AHCI mode which I soon regretted as my laptop would not boot. So I reverted the change and reset my laptop (thank god for the keep files option). I then got the error again mid install of windows and after clicking continue and pressing the power button again my laptop finished the install and is now seemingly fine. I ran the Dell SupportAssist test and it shows no issues. I then reinstalled a few pieces of software and closed my laptop to be met with the exact same issue. I’m now experiencing more weird problems as my laptop will start up and show a black screen after login. I’ve uninstalled display adapters already with no luck. 

Last night I installed a bunch of Dell updates and I am guessing that might have caused some issues but I am not certain. 

March 15th, 2019 07:00

I was able to install the Thunderbolt Firmware and Drive from the Dell Website and after rebooting I am able to access my account as well as the admin with no problems. I ran SupportAssist and it shows no issues. Should I fear that this issue will reoccur?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 15th, 2019 05:00

Thank you for your message. Exactly what updates did you install, was it something related to BIOS or drivers?

Please run a hardware diagnostic by following the video on this link & check if there is an error.

If the computer boots disable all startup items, right click on the time – click on task manager – click on startup tab – disable all options including the antivirus & restart the computer. Check if the issue persists.

Do you have an external device connected to the computer, like a printer or a dock?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.   

How to locate the service tag

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 15th, 2019 06:00

Do you get this error message through Dell Support Assist?

Is the drive detected in BIOS when you get this error message?

Please set BIOS to defaults & check if the issue persists. This could also be caused when the boot path is corrupted or if there is an issue with Support Assist detected.

Please share the service tag, I can check the service details & assist you further.

I was somehow able to boot and was met with a black screen and a error when I logged in. “ThunderboltServicd cannot he found in services. Please reinstall the Thunderbolt™ Software package.” 

This also was happening last night , but when I sign in to the admin profile I get the error but no black screen.

EDIT: After signing in as admin and rebooting I reran the diagnostic and my hard drive passed. But I am still met with the same black screen and error only on my profile. Admin appears normal.

I ran SupportAssist and installed a few one being BIOS I believe.

I ran the diagnostic and for hard drive all it says is hard drive not installed. I don’t think it’s a hardware problem though because after my original post last night I was able to boot up again and even install the 1.9.0 bios update until the point where it reset and then I recieve the same screen that was available. However it says I’m I have bios 1.9.0 when I try to boot. I was also able to download other piece of software.

I attempted to message you but it said I reached the limit of messages for the day which I don’t understand because I have yet to send any.

Okay, thank you! I have since backed up all of my data onto Google Drive.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

There shouldn’t be any for now. However, we strongly recommend you back up data to be on the safer side. Complete all driver update through Support Assist & then complete Windows update manually.  Restart the computer multiple times to check if everything works fine.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

March 15th, 2019 10:00

That’s great. Please observe your computer. Feel free to reach out to us if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

No Events found!