Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 03:00

XPS 15 9560 files deleted after update

Hi,

I did an update that the computer wanted to do, took 10mins but when i turned the laptop on again ALL my files have gone.

I didnt notice at first as my paid for software were on the screen so I didnt think to check my photos and work. I just thought i would have to reinstate some settings like what i wanted on the taskbar and what browser i wanted to use. Just realised everything has gone! its been over 10 days! how do i get it all back?

Thanks in advance.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

June 3rd, 2020 03:00

You'll need to be more specific:  what update?  Driver?  Windows?  If it was a Windows update, use the system restore to turn the system back to before the update was installed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

If it was a driver update, uninstall the update.

A BIOS update would not have caused this - at least not by itself.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 04:00

unfortunately i don't remember. is there a way for me to find out? I think it was a windows update but cannot be sure.

June 5th, 2020 13:00

There is no way to find out how your files were deleted unless you perform a system restore to an earlier point that contains your saved files.

But, just to let you know, a system restore basically rolls your computer back to an earlier point of time. Thus, any driver update, windows update, or whatever it is that deleted your files would be erased, and your files would be "restored". Of course, any editing of a word document, excel document, etc would be lost. Basically your computer has traveled back in time. From here, I guess you could update windows to test afterwards? Just make sure you manually make a system restore or back up your files to an external drive before you do it.

The windows updates have reportedly been deleting user files. Look it up, it's sad.

No Events found!