Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 12:00

XPS 15 9570 - I feel ripped off...

It's now 10 days past the point of which I can return my laptop. (Date of invoice, not when I received it, which makes perfect sense.) Apparently Dell's return policy is incredibly rigid. Instead of potentially saving a future customer, I will literally never buy another Dell product in my life. 

Issues with the XPS 15 9570:

• The most annoying issue: skipping keys. I have a separate thread in this forum about it. Type too fast, and it'll skip random keys. Dell "knows" about it but doesn't have an ETA as they are still trying to "replicate" the issue. Dudes, open any XPS 15 9570 and start typing. It's widespread. 
  • Overheating. It will overheat simply surfing the web and having more than 10 tabs open. I use CAM performance monitor and this laptop is constantly running hot doing the most minimal of tasks. When I tried playing a game, in this instance FortNite, it overheated and shut down. Wat? Same goes for even low graphic loaded games. 
  • Sometimes it simply won't start up. Typically happens if it loses it's battery, I'll plug it in for an hour or so, try to turn it on... the keyboard lights up but nothing on the monitor. I have to hold down the power button to force a hard restart. 
  • Sluggish performance overall. Multitasking will bog the computer quite a bit. Have more than 10 Chrome tabs open while working in Excel? Good luck. Mouse will stutter while it works to catch up. 

Overall, this is MAYBE a $1,000 computer. But at the current price point of $1,500, I feel ripped off. Since Dell won't refund me in any way, I ask you the community if you know of a way to get a refund a whole 10 days after the 30 day refund mark?

Otherwise I'm filing a complaint with the BBB and FTC because at this point I feel like I got bait and switched. 

(Yes, Dell premium support did some things to the computer to see if it'll help any of these issues, still same issues.)

1 Message

September 7th, 2018 02:00

Update the bios this fixes the fans and thermal issues

Dell XPS15 9570, 1.3.1 System BIOS
https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=82MK9
Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework
https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=591DK

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

July 4th, 2018 02:00

Get evidence of overheating (HWinfo64/Sensors graphs of temperatures, clock frequencies, fan speeds under normal work, games, load tests like Mersenne Prime95 and Unigine Heaven) and make Dell send a tech over to repaste with good paste like Kryonaut. 

Intel DPTF, which is in charge of throttling down the clocks when temperatures rise dangerously, probably isn't working. This is the secret sauce that lets Dell sell XPS laptops containing chips which are too hot for the cooling system. It will probably get fixed with some updates within a couple of months, but you won't like that either. Better consider undervolting the CPU (Intel XTU) and the GPU (MSI Afterburner) and fitting the VRM mosfets with thermal pads. Find instructions at Reddit r/Dell and Notebookreview forums. 

Complaining isn't a bad idea. 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 4th, 2018 14:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the multiple issues you have encountered with your new system. I will look into this on priority.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

1 Message

August 16th, 2018 07:00

You are right...

This laptop has the most annoying problem there is, you can't use it as a laptop. It has to be put on a table and not on your lap or bed... When watching youtube videos this xps 15 9570 will burn your legs after 20 minutes sitting on your lap.

I had never experienced this issue with my old 500 dollar HP laptop. Really dissapointed for a 1800 euros laptop 

1 Message

March 19th, 2019 20:00

I completely agree with you here, I had left my laptop in my backup and notice by backup was hot, well windows bugged out with my video card on and I reached into my back pack and almost burnt my hand, I actually didn't think a laptop could get so hot, the whole thing was burning hot, it was absolutely insane, it could of started a fire...

I held the power button and turned it off, but I almost lost my 3000 laptop.. this is stupid.

matt

No Events found!