Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

1 Message

April 5th, 2019 13:00

XPS 15 9570, LCD not waking up, #2

I have this same issue and it started just about the same time as the original post on this thread (mid January 2019). I had this laptop since September 2018. It usually happens every 3-4 days, not every time the screen turns off or is in sleep mode. When I want to wake the system by either pressing any key on the keyboard or pressing the power button, the keyboard backlight comes on but the screen remains black. There is nothing I can do other than force shutting down by holding the power button.

I chatted with a Dell support agent online, they tried changing settings through remote access and switching some Power Plan settings but the problem remains. I have all the latest drivers and BIOS version 1.8.1. The Dell support agent and I have been emailing back and forth over the last few days. They said , "We do not have any such known issue with the system." and wanted me to put computer into Safe Mode to see if it still occurs, but I don't want to remain in Safe Mode for a few days since the issue doesn't occur every time it Sleeps. The agent then told me to disable Hibernate Mode, which I did but once again about a day later the computer wouldn't wake, just black screen. And now today I received an email from Dell support telling me to reinstall Windows 10. I am not going to spend all that time backing everything up and reinstalling.

I read on a forum of someone with the same problem say that it happens on systems with Intel and Nvidia GPU's as it switches to the Intel display and fails. Not sure if that is the true problem for this though.

It sure is annoying when the screen is black and you had things open unsaved. It's not a good feeling when every time I go to use my expensive laptop I expect it to not come on. Please find a fix for this Dell!

3 Posts

April 9th, 2019 05:00

I've now done the same (gone through things with Dell Online support - via Twitter). Updated the bios to 1.8.1 and other bits and pieces, and it's now actually worse and takes even longer to recover. Dell, it's really simple. When the LCD goes off, the system locks completely. As others have mentioned, this has only started happening within the past 6-8 weeks. It does not happen every time, but it happens consistently enough to be extremely disruptive. I did point this thread out to Dell, who didn't seem to acknowledge that it was a known issue as previous posters have indicated.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 10th, 2019 07:00

nuke126,

* Reinstall the following drivers one at a time, restarting after each one =
- Dell Power Manager Service
- Intel UHD Graphics
- Nvidia Graphics
* Then retest

3 Posts

April 13th, 2019 01:00

Gone one better. Done a complete recovery (i.e. OS install). STILL happening.

3 Posts

May 18th, 2019 12:00

I have this exact same problem. I bought TWO 17" Model P26E laptops. (Inspiron 5748 Series). Hopefully, both having the same issues can help solve it. The aforementioned screen blackout started on one unit a few months ago after updating drivers, but I didn't make the connection until I updated drivers on my 2nd unit. This is because the 1ST UNIT IS CONNECTED TO OUR TV VIA HDMI, so I can still navigate SOMETIMES via mouse or virtual keyboard without reboot. However, WAKE-UP after SLEEP MODE usually, requires reboot.

Unlike the 1st unit the 2nd unit screen does NOT immediately blackout during reboot process. I updated drivers on my 2nd unit last week, about 2 months after the having problems with the other. After a few minutes the screen went into SLEEP mode and would not WAKE. Realizing I would no be able to use remote controls via HDMI on the second unit, I immediately turned off SLEEP/HIBERNATE upon reboot. This WORKAROUND would be annoying but doable IF I didn't have to wait 15-20 minutes of enduring ANOTHER common problem in Windows 10... the 100% DISK USAGE PROBLEM, which has NEVER been fixed by Microsoft. (I've tried all of those worthless "FIXES”)

3 Posts

May 18th, 2019 12:00

Since the problem still exists after OS reinstall, it seems to me the problem we share is bios/driver related, especially since BOTH of my (exact) units had the problem immediately after updating. I'm going to try reverting back to old bios/drivers. I hope I can. Will report if it works.

No Events found!