Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2018 04:00

XPS 15-9570, Windows 10, high DPC latency, acpi.sys

Hello,

I have a dell XPS 15 9570, and I have big issues with on board and external audio.

HW Spec:

Dell XPS 15 9570, i7 8750H, 4K screen, 16g ram /512g ssd, qualcomm Killer wifi and then intel AC-9260, nVidia 1050 Ti with latest WHQL drivers, bios v1.2.2, all drivers to date as of 2018/15/07

Symptoms:

- audio cracks and pops with system audio when watching videos, listening to mp3/flac, playing games with built-in card,

- audio cracks and pops with  external ASIO soundcard (focusrite scarlett 18i8 2nd gen) when running pro DAW software with 256 samples buffer @48Khz or 512 buffer @96Khz

This can damage external speakers and makes the machine unusable for live audio or even standard multimedia use.

What I did:

- applied all tweaks recommended by my external audio card's manufacturer https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

- ran LatencyMon and found that TCPIP.sys and ndis.sys were causing 4ms DPC latency spikes, followed by ACPI.sys 2ms and dxgkrnl.sys 1.7 ms

- swapped  the qualcom card for an intel AC-9260 which eliminated totally the TCPIP.sys and ndis.sys spikes

- now ACPI.sys and dxgkrnl.sys are still causing 2ms DPC latency spikes

- audio glitches are still present

- disabled all peripherals except for keyboard, integrated graphics, trackpad, screen and storage (I disabled wifi, bluetooth, webcam, nvidia graphics, fingerprint reader, ACPI battery manager, cardreader, fall accelerometer, screen touch, etc.)

- disabled Speed-Step/ SpeedShift and Turbo-Boost, disabled virtualisation support in the BIOS to try to minimize randomness in the behaviour

- disabled fastboot

- ACPI.sys latency is still culminating at 1.7ms and causing audio dropouts with either built-in or external USB asio interface

- I've opened a support ticket over at dell with my premium support, the ticket was automatically closed a week later without anyone getting in touch with me.

I've run out of options and am looking for help.

11 Posts

May 18th, 2019 07:00

So after checking a few forums, I found this: 'The fix for the latency and a lot of the other audio issues is for Dell to stop pushing BIOS updates. Either give us fan curve control or bring the fan curve back to what it was in 1.3 and either completely revert the power limit to what it was in BIOS 1.3, or at least give us more headroom on it. Even giving us a choice between better cooling vs quieter fans would be fine. Just give the owners of these laptops the fan curve we want, the fan curve that will actually make the laptops usable. I'm assuming they ruined the fan curve and power limit to try and make the laptop "quieter" while maintaining the temperatures they had previously, which is completely . It's a (supposed to be) high performance laptop, most laptops are going to be at least a little noisy when cooling hardware like this. But they decided to gimp our computers instead and essentially make useless these laptops for any sort of professional workload or even just gaming sessions depending on the game you want to play. Even video/audio hobbyists, people that make videos or audio of some sort, this has ruined it for because the performance is nowhere near where it should be and they've introduced massive latency due to the power limiting they've done which is heavily affecting audio. I'm waiting a little while longer to see if they put out a fix for all this nonsense, before I call and start asking for either a new unit with BIOS 1.2/1.3 or a complete refund so that I can take my money to another manufacturer such as Acer, because from what I've heard, the Acer Predator Helios had some heat problems and power limiting issues as well with it's i7 8750H and guess what? They pushed out an update that fixed it. Gave Helios owners the option to ramp up the fans and they fixed the power limiting issue (aka brought the power limit back to what the Dell laptops had in BIOS 1.2/1.3). If I get a refund, I'm going to Acer or another manufacturer that's handling this properly. I personally wouldn't mind hearing my fan work all day long so long as these spikes are removed, I'd love to roll back to another version of the bios but now it seems I cannot do so, unless others know of a way round this block from version 1.10

May 27th, 2019 12:00

Your rose colored glasses view of the world is belied by the fact latency has been a known problem with both the 9560 and 9570 for years. You obviously have no dependency upon audio playback. Some of us do, and with no priority being put on latency by Dell, you tell me why in one shouldn't be upset. And skip the "life is good" .

June 11th, 2019 10:00

Hi,

I have DELL 5587 G5, and the DPC latency is enormous! My audio interface is ZOOM UAC-2 and I use CUBASE 10, have no issue with audio when I work on 512 buffer, but 256 is not good. Can you tell me which steps you took to have those DPC values? Beside changing Wi-Fi card. 

Thank you very much

June 18th, 2019 23:00

Its obvious DELL need to implement a hardware recall to fix the latency on XPS Models such as the 9560. BIOS fiddling is going nowhere. Apparently (via Tweet) the next model (after 9570) will address latency, but how is this going to fix the current issues for customers?

11 Posts

June 20th, 2019 15:00

I wish I could have my money back from Dell, and buy another brand of Laptop. NEVER AGAIN. My Inspiron is USELESS for any Audio Related Work, also for Gaming without Stutters. Their strategy is pretend it never happen. and launching a new model. I have done videos showing the issue, sent everything they asked, and they just let people´s topics go into oblivion.

July 7th, 2019 06:00

Same issue with latency here on my XPS 13 9360. I had to cancel two gigs because of these latency issues that started to appear after the 28th of June. Before then my XPS was working fine. 

I've played £1,5k for this laptop and it is currently letting me down massively. I've tried all the different suggestions (changes in power plan settings, disable the cpu boost options through the bios, checked all drivers are updated) but still no luck. 

July 14th, 2019 17:00

I am also having these severe latency issues associated with acpi.sys and it is impossible to run my DAW (Reaper) without pops/crackles, despite every attempt to optimise for recording.  My laptop is a Dell Latitude 5591.  Given the multi-user issue with this, it would be great if Dell could provide an update ASAP. 

August 4th, 2019 23:00

Just bought a Precision 7740 which looks on paper like a really good music production machine.  Dissapointingly however. LatencyMon is showing regular and frequent ACPI.sys dpc latencies on this machine too.  Been looking all over the net trying all kinds of suggestions, but nothing to fix the ACPI latency so far.  Is it solidly fixed on the XPS now?

I posted this over in the "mobile workstation" forum:

https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/Precision-7740-still-acpi-sys-latency-issues-render-it/m-p/7349223

Unfortunate.

August 13th, 2019 18:00

Latency is not fixed for the Dell XPS 9560 .  The latest BIOS Version: 1.16.0 claims to make improvements to address ACPI.sys latency.  However it appears to be no better, getting 6500usec peaks.

Looking more like a hardware issue which is not being addressed 2 years on.

August 14th, 2019 10:00

The issue is, by no definition of the word, fixed... Problems are accumulating and the end of the warranty is quickly approaching. If I were a more cynical person I'd wonder if this was a coincidence.

August 14th, 2019 23:00

I just want to play some rocksmith but the audio latency is ridiculous. Used other laptops and this problem doesn't exist. 

Do the latency issues still prove to be a problem when using an external sound card/interface?

August 20th, 2019 19:00

If you want to do real time audio, a second hand Apple Macbook Pro is a much better option.

August 21st, 2019 21:00

Hey, I'm facing ACPI Driver latency, and to be honest, so far DELL has not been of any help. What did you finally do?

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2019 12:00

I've been doing Pro Audio for decades- at this point I'm an expert-level system tuner, and I purchased a Dell G7 7790, which is a great laptop in almost every respect. However, after wasting nearly a month of my life trying to solve the audio glitches related to the ACPI.sys issue, I've come to the conclusion that as of Sept 3 2019, this is an unsolvable problem. Using Process lasso, etc- unfortunately this is *not* a 100% fix, and frankly it should not be necessary on a machine with 2019 specs. So until Dell fixes the issue, which seems to have been ongoing for years now with multiple Dell models, my recommendation is to chuck your Dell ASAP and get something else. Taking care of the Pro Audio community is apparently NOT a priority for Dell. Fortunately I was able to return mine.

2 Posts

September 7th, 2019 14:00

The only reason it has crackling sound is because you need the right driver for that daw. If you are trying to record audio with a microphone you need to download the interface driver on your laptop.
No Events found!