Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

November 8th, 2018 21:00

XPS 15-9570, freezing for 10 seconds

Hi. I've just got a brand new laptop and having some issues with it.. It just keeps freezing for like 10 seconds, for example when I switch apps from something to Premiere Pro and I want to play footage (i have to wait for 10 sec or so when it starts playing). Another example is when I try to download and save a file in Chrome. It freezes as well, but I can move the mouse cursor around.. 

All drivers and BIOS are up to date. Tried to under volt CPU. Did a clean Windows install as well. Specs:

i7 8750h, 32GB, Intel HD 630, GTX 1050TI, Toshiba 1tb SSD.

Can anyone help??? :|

• 

17K Posts

November 9th, 2018 05:00

Andriukas,

Check the bios to make sure that you have the latest Bios version installed. The latest version is 1.5.0.

Click the link below to download.

xps 9570 Bios update

4 Posts

November 9th, 2018 19:00

As I said, the BIOS are up to date :) 

• 

17K Posts

November 14th, 2018 05:00

Andriukas,

To find out which program or app is causing the system to freeze type MSCONFIG  in the search box. Once open click the services tab. From here choose one or two programs at a time and uncheck the box. Do this for each program to determine what program or app is causing the delay.  Post back your results.

4 Posts

November 20th, 2018 19:00

The main program that I'm using is Adobe Premiere. I have no other programs running, I have fresh & clean Windows, I set that Premiere would always use NVIDIA video card so I guess something is just wrong from the hardware side.. I can't even play Full HD 10bit footage from my Panasonic GH5 camera. 

1 Message

November 21st, 2018 10:00

Which version of Windows are you using on Dell XPS 15? I asked this because some software and programs are not compatible with certain windows which makes the system freeze for a short period of time. 

4 Posts

November 21st, 2018 20:00

I guess it's a newest one, v1803. 

30 Posts

January 21st, 2019 11:00

Hi, can you always at least move the mouse? My system occasionally freezes completely, so for about 5 seconds I cannot do anything at all. It seems to happen when I manipulate some text, but that could just be coincidence because it happens once a day on average.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

January 26th, 2019 05:00

Freezing just happened when I clicked POST, mouse gets stuck, sound gets in nanosecond loop doing eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, and I'm still downloading stuff to test it.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

I have the same issue here. And it doesn't matter what program I have. I also have Linux on this notebook, and it does not happen on Linux, never (I use for system developments, so I have tons of docker containers running at the same time, IntelliJ, Multiple profiles, 3 screen setup, all that and Linux never got this frozen state). My System is 9570, i9, 32GB RAM, 2 SSDs (1TB M.2 and 512GB Sata). Only difference from running windows or linux is the SSD where it's installed. If I had to guess, I would say there is something related to some crazy task running for indexing the SSD and maybe the SSD where Windows is running from is not the best in the market. I even removed McAfee antivirus as I thought it could be it.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

Seems like it may be a Video Card issue too.

https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/XPS-15-9560-5-to-10-second-freezing/m-p/5159367#M9674

The link he presents is quite old (2017). There is a 2019 version for each specific processor here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28515/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=80939

This page will take you to another page (you have to read all to see the link for download) and it will take you to another screen to install Intel Driver and Support Assistant. (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html)

Well, I'm still downloading, but I believe this could be the cause. I get back to report success or failure in a few minutes (although I don't know how to force the problem but I know it happens mostly when I'm gaming, as Windows has no other use beside games - really crappy OS!)

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

January 26th, 2019 06:00

So, the graphic driver is not available for the i9 8950HK processor. :-/ Intel Rapid Storage update went well (notebook just froze while typing this). I will reboot now and hope it stops freezing, but I'm really worried about the graphics driver now!

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

It seems it's definitely solved by just updating the Intel Rapid Storage software!!!

WOOHOOOO!!!!

After installing Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, I ran a graphics card test from it and my computer DID NOT FREEZE!!!

So, the problem is not on graphics, but on storage driver. This is why it was only happening to me on Windows. XD

HURRY! Install Intel Drivers and Support Assistant, scan for updates (the graphics card update didn't work for me, but the rapid storage did) and update your software to the latest available. Then, download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and run stress tests. I kept moving my mouse to see if freezing had stopped and IT DID!!! XD NO MORE FREEZING ON WINDOWS!!!

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

2 updates: video card and storage... I believe it nails the problem.

Untitled.png

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

Just as information, 2 updates detected, being one the video card.

Untitled.png

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

Looking Intel website for i9 downloads I found an Extreme Tuning Tool. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/134903/Intel-Core-i9-8950HK-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4-80-GHz- Well, after I've installed it and opening the Advanced > All Controls, I could notice that the Thermal Throttling keeps getting yellow. Considering that the processor is also responsible for the graphics processing when using Intel chipset, well, this would explain a lot!!! Basically seems like when you are using the Intel Graphics card (which at the moment is not upgradable for the i9 8950HK) your chip goes into throttling, and gets frozen for a few seconds. Now, just to report: after rebooting with the Intel Rapid Storage update, I still didn't experienced any freezing. Will keep using it, now gaming, and see if it stops freezing. Also I will disable Microsoft Indexing service, just to see if that could be the cause (used to be on some old notebooks I had in the past)
No Events found!