Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2018 12:00

XPS 15-9570, performance tuning

I have the XPS 9570 for about a month now. I want to configure it for peak performance and I have the following questions:

- I want to reinstall Windows, because I need to repair Media Player and just because, do I need to use Dell drivers or can I use Microsoft/latest drivers the system finds online? Some people argued that we should use Dell drivers. Why? Anyone tried with standard Windows drivers?

- So far my tests revealed that there is no thermal throttling but should I replace the thermal paste in order to make it run even cooler?

- Anyone tried undervolting? How much can you go?

- I am experiencing wifi issues, should I replace my Wi-Fi card? If so, which is a good, compatible model?

Thanks

16 Posts

September 11th, 2018 09:00

Hi Codrut2!

I have just got my XPS 9560 working really well after months of poor performance at load... If you are considering putting down thermal pads you probably have the same issue I had!!

There is software that runs to keep your legs cooler if the computer's case gets too hot. I disabled that software at my own risk.

Before I did, the computer would hit about 60c then throttle to stay below 50c.

After I did disable the software, the computer runs at a safe 70c while I have maxed settings in my applications and games.

Fortnite, HotS, etc at MAX settings is BEAUTIFUL!! 

I had to do research to find my solution. I tried to post it here but it was marked as SPAM. LOL

AND to answer your under-volt question, I run ThrottleStop at: Core -51.8, Cache -35.2, GPU -22.5

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

September 11th, 2018 05:00

Hi Codrut2,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

To answer your questions:

Yes, you can use non-Dell drivers, however, downloading and installing device drivers or software from other sources may cause the device not to work correctly, cause your PC to crash or not boot into the operating system or sometimes even infect your PC with virus, trojan or other malicious software.  The Dell drivers are formulated and tested to work specifically for your particular machine.

If there is no thermal throttling, while it won't void the warranty, but why take the whole computer apart to perform this task if it's not needed.  Wait until you have overheating issues before taking on this task.

Undervolting will not void the warranty the way over clocking will, however if you ever need to troubleshoot with Dell technicians, the system will have to be restored to it's factory shipped state.

What type of wifi issues are you having?  Your post does not state what's going on.  You may wish to run Dell SupportAssist to determine if it's a hardware issue.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Drivers and Downloads FAQs

How to Reinstall Windows Drivers in the Correct Order

Connecting and Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity Issues on Your Dell Computer

WiFi Not Connecting

If you need additional assistance, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information and your computer's service tag number. Thanks.

5 Posts

November 13th, 2018 13:00

I have read only now the answers. Thanks for sharing! After about 3 months with the Dell XPS 9570 (i7-8750H, 32GB memory, 1 TB SSD) I am very happy. I had one problem, at one point my laptop was not charging anymore, but Dell promptly replaced my power brick. It seems it is very sensitive, it's a 130W power unit, hard to find also. And in order to make it run as I want I made these adjustments: 1. I replaced the network card with an Intel 9260 WiFi card. 2. I had erased everything and reinstalled Windows 1803 and used only Microsoft drivers. That's it. No other driver or Dell software, pure Microsoft. For the WiFi card I used the driver from the Microsoft catalog website. I have also tried Windows 1809 but it is not yet stable and I experienced Bluetooth interruptions. 3. Most importantly I replaced the thermal paste. I have used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I used the pea method. After this I needed no undervolting software anymore. 4. Ah, and I replaced the cheap aluminium T5 screws from the back cover with some new steel ones. They look prettier too. I don't know why they use these cheap aluminium screws. I plan to upgrade the SSD with the Samsung Pro line and I'm waiting for Samsung to release the 64 GB memory kit sometime in the future. This laptop is a beast with some fine tuning!

2 Posts

December 24th, 2018 01:00

Hi Heath-Nay,

what is the software which you disabled? Have I missed it in your post?

thanks,

Robert

No Events found!