Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 15-9570 poor performance when not charging

Jump to solution

I have a newly bought (1 month old) Dell XPS 15-9570, Touchscreen, 4K display, Windows 10, i7 8th-gen.

I've noticed that while the laptop isn't being charged, it showed poor performance:

1. Slow response time in small and everyday applications - using chrome, using the file explorer, dragging folders on the desktop.

2. Lagging and sluggish performance in other applications such as photoshop (tracking a stylus) and unity (graphics preview) etc.

This happens regardless of my battery status (either empty or full empty) or power setting (better battery life/ better performance).

When I do plug the laptop in, it all works fine and I experience no lags.

Searched for this issue online and on this forum and couldn't find a solution. Much help appreciated, thanks! 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS 15-9570 poor performance when not charging

Jump to solution

It is normal that laptops are throttled down on battery. This is set in the advanced power profile configuration (for the GPU, Battery Boost in NVidia Experience). It is possible to change this, but draining the battery with high current is likely not only to reduce the number of hours on battery before drained but also increase battery wear and shorten the lifetime. Minde these batteries are prone to swelling, and folks keep reporting issues when trying to get replacements from Dell.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS 15-9570 poor performance when not charging

Jump to solution

It is normal that laptops are throttled down on battery. This is set in the advanced power profile configuration (for the GPU, Battery Boost in NVidia Experience). It is possible to change this, but draining the battery with high current is likely not only to reduce the number of hours on battery before drained but also increase battery wear and shorten the lifetime. Minde these batteries are prone to swelling, and folks keep reporting issues when trying to get replacements from Dell.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos