Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2018 19:00

XPS 15-9575 2-in-1, touchpad freezing

I got my new laptop less than a month ago and have been very happy with it. However, I have noticed that there is sometimes a problem with the touchpad.

Occasionally, the touchpad will freeze and the cursor will stop moving. These freezes last from about half a second to many seconds. Now, this isn't a huge problem, but it is pretty annoying when it happens.

Anyone with the same problem or ideas on how to fix this problem?

6 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 20:00

I have this issue as well.  It makes the laptop unusable without an external mouse and happens regularly and consistently for me.  5-7 times per day, 15 to 20 minutes per instance.. :/

1 Message

August 23rd, 2018 14:00

I have the same problem with my 9575. It looks related to a recent BIOS update according to when it appeared. Hope to have a software fix soon. 

1 Message

August 27th, 2018 06:00

I'm having the same issue with my trackpad on the Dell. It's wierd, sometimes it doesn't want to register a touch and other times the trackpad seems to go haywire. This morning I was trying to drag a window to move it and the cursor went nuts. Ended up putting the window mostly off the screen. The really hurts productivity as this is my work computer. A sentiment I think most of us on this thread would share, this is too new and too expensive of a computer for this issue to be happening.

August 27th, 2018 08:00

I have this issue as well. and also Bluetooth issue.

XPS 9575 seems don't have touch pad driver at their website

3 Posts

August 27th, 2018 10:00

To temporary fix your issue I suggest you connect a mouse to your laptop, I have been doing this for a while and it is "more" functional than without. Keep in mind issues may still occur but they are less frequent.

3 Posts

August 28th, 2018 12:00

Can we get some acknowledgement from Dell?

3 Posts

August 28th, 2018 17:00

Same issue. Just had my keyboard replaced from excessive dust build-up and today I started noticing the trackpad freezing. 

August 29th, 2018 08:00

tl;dr: try uninstalling the ASMedia USB Extended Host Controller Driver through Settings.

I noticed this issue beginning shortly after updating to BIOS v. 1.1.7 and updating the ASMedia USB Extended Host Controller Driver - A08 through Dell Support Assist in July. Rolling back the BIOS to v. 1.1.5 seemed to help a little but did not fix the problem. Uninstalling the ASMedia drivers via Settings seems to have fixed the issue entirely. I have not tried reinstalling them, but it is possible that I just had a bad installation and reinstalling will work.

UPDATE: Just made it more rare.

3 Posts

August 29th, 2018 19:00

I can't find the ASMedia USB driver in Device Manager. Is it elsewhere?

August 31st, 2018 14:00

I found it in Settings -> Apps -> Apps & Features. I couldn't find it in Device Manager, either. 

16 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 06:00

Will try this and update the thread.

16 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 18:00

Uninstalled ASMedia USB driver but the touchpad is still not intermittently working. I've been playing around with it a bit more and I see two specific problems:

- I will use my index finger to move the pointer around. At some point the pointer stops moving even though my index finger is still on the trackpad moving around. The only time it begins to work again is if I take my finger off the trackpad and then put it on the trackpad again, or place another finger on the trackpad and start moving the second finger. In the latter's case, the trackpad thinks there is only one finger on the trackpad, as it does not behave like i have two fingers on the trackpad.

- Sometimes while moving my index finger around the mouse disappears completely. Even if i take my finger off the trackpad and put it back on the trackpad again, it will be missing for several seconds, at which point the pointer magically appears again and responds to my index finger moving around on the trackpad.

Ran Dell Support Assist to test my touchpad but it found no issues.

3 Posts

September 4th, 2018 10:00

For all those who frequent this forum and are still experiencing issues, I noticed there was a new bios version (1.1.9) available as of today. You can find it on the dell support page after detecting your device, located in the drivers and downloads section. I am not sure whether this will solve the issue, as I am still in the process of flashing, but I figured I would let everyone know asap. 

3 Posts

September 4th, 2018 16:00

I was consistently having this problem. Just updated to the Sept 4 bios release and it appears to have fixed it. Been using the computer for about 20 minutes since the update and the trackpad has been very responsive.

16 Posts

September 4th, 2018 21:00

Updated to the latest BIOS and it worked at first. A few hours later, the problem still persists - the trackpad loses track of my finger and doesn't think its moving on the trackpad at all.

No Events found!