Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2018 19:00

XPS 15-9575 2-in-1, touchpad freezing

I got my new laptop less than a month ago and have been very happy with it. However, I have noticed that there is sometimes a problem with the touchpad.

Occasionally, the touchpad will freeze and the cursor will stop moving. These freezes last from about half a second to many seconds. Now, this isn't a huge problem, but it is pretty annoying when it happens.

Anyone with the same problem or ideas on how to fix this problem?

16 Posts

February 21st, 2019 12:00

My guess is that it is more than one underlying problem, particularly since the symptoms vary slightly from person to person.

8 Posts

February 25th, 2019 19:00

Possible solution on Windows 10. Unsure of whether something similar will work for Linux.  The following is my post to a reddit post on the same issue (https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/asv3i9/xps_9575_touchpaderratic_mousepen_issues_possible/).

I like many others were experiencing the XPS 9575 erratic mouse/touchpad issue along with the pen issue. Links to these issues on Reddit are below. I reported the issue to Dell who wanted to replace the touchpad, however I refused explaining I did not believe it was a hardware issue since I could not reproduce it in BIOS or in the Dell Diagnostic utilities and if it were hardware I would expect it to be there all the time rather than randomly. Dell agreed to allow me to test further and also hinted that there was perhaps a link to the touchscreen or picking up the laptop by the right hand corner with one hand (ie. some kind of pressure or warping issue). I tested all these scenarios over the following weeks.

I was unable to replicate any association between picking the laptop up from the right hand corner.

The issue still occurred after disabling the touchscreen in Windows Device Manager so I concluded it wasn't the touchscreen.

At this point I started working on the theory of an interference with having 3 devices controlling the mouse (touchscreen, touchpad, and Dell ActivePen PX579X). I had already proven the touchscreen wasn't to blame so I disabled the "HID compliant pen" device (NOTE: I did not disable the "Dell Pen Device" device). Whilst the pen was disabled the issue did not occur (over a week of constant use). Interestingly when the pen was re-enabled the issue still hasn't reoccurred despite my best efforts. Additionally I noted the pen issue in the first link below was resolved also.

This information was fed back to my contact at Dell and I requested to be informed on any progress so they could have time to test this perhaps on customers experiencing the issue before I posted my findings here (better to test in a controlled environment if possible), but despite repeated attempts I have had no further contact.

IN SUMMARY: for those experiencing this issue with the XPS 9575 can you reply advising whether you have a pen device setup and what model it is. Additionally, try disabling the "HID compliant pen" in device manager (not the Dell Pen Device); reboot; then re-enable the "HID compliant pen" and report back whether this works for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/988g8g/pen_issues_on_the_xps_9575/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/a0sldd/xps_15_9575_no_fix_for_buggy_touchpad/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/9c6d54/xps_15_2in1_9575_touchpad_problem/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/9k93wl/xps_9575_touchpad_issue_persist_after_bios_119/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/9k93wl/xps_9575_touchpad_issue_persist_after_bios_119/

8 Posts

March 5th, 2019 21:00

Further to my last post - Update 20190304: I discovered there was a Microsoft Store update for the Dell Active Pen software, after installing this I was presented with a notification that the Wacom drivers needed installing for this (updated) software to work and the link directed me to this page (http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/?dlid=621ad0). On reading the Readme notes (http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/readme.html) for this driver, I noted the following under Known Issues which sounds very much like the issue many of us have been experiencing.

When using Bluetooth, button function when in or out of proximity to the tablet can result in the Windows key "sticking." This causes the Windows key modifier to act as though it is pressed even when it is not. What you can do about it: If the Windows key becomes stuck, press the physical Windows key on your keyboard to disable the key, or log out of your computer and then log back in.

I have installed this driver and will continue to test to ensure the issue doesn't re-appear.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2019 21:00

Try disabling "HID compliant pen" in Device Manager. It has worked for me so far. Curious if it works for you.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2019 21:00

I can confirm that disabling HID compliant pen has stopped the random freezing & phantom clicking.

This has been bugging me off & on for months, but the past week has become practically unusable without rebooting frequently. I'm glad that it's not likely a hardware problem. 

March 12th, 2019 09:00

I am also affected on Linux, and I use a PN597X pen as well.

See the following issue (wrongly filed against libinput before we figured out it was likely a firmware or hardware issue):

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/issues/236

The touchpad is actually never locked, but instead it detects less fingers than are actually present, so I can still move the pointer with 1+N fingers, scroll with 2+N, pinch with 3+N, etc... with N > 0.

9 Posts

March 12th, 2019 11:00

After changing my mousepad keyboard it solved my problem. This since 2 months. 

16 Posts

March 12th, 2019 15:00

@Element-126 wrote:

I am also affected on Linux, and I use a PN597X pen as well.

See the following issue (wrongly filed against libinput before we figured out it was likely a firmware or hardware issue):

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/issues/236

The touchpad is actually never locked, but instead it detects less fingers than are actually present, so I can still move the pointer with 1+N fingers, scroll with 2+N, pinch with 3+N, etc... with N > 0.

This was the same symptoms I had, which was fixed after I had the touchpad replaced.

2 Posts

March 15th, 2019 19:00

I have disabled "HID-compliant pen" - it helps, but did not resolve problem.

I have: Windows 10 Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763, BIOS 1.2.0 10/10/2018, HD Graphics 630 25.20.100.6373, Radeon RX Vega M 25.20.15002.58.

Tried to downgrade BIOS to 1.1.7 - no result, but maaybe this helped with phantom clicks.

23 Posts

March 17th, 2019 04:00

Update from my machine (running Ubuntu): I am now confident mine is a hardware issue as I just reproduced my problem in BIOS. Will ask for replacement.

To be specific (as I am sure that several issues are mixed up here in this thread), my issue is:

- Occasionally the lower half of the touchpad does not respond to move or click. When this happened, two-finger scroll does not work at all (also not in upper half, which would still react to single finger)

- No trigger for this to be found, seems entirely random. Sometimes does not happen for days, and sometimes frequently every few seconds or minutes.

- When it happens, it reliably disappears by simply not using touchpad for a few seconds.

- Problem did not occur for first 2 months or so of using device (with Ubuntu 18.10), then started. (I have since updated to Ubuntu 19.04 (in development) with all new graphics and GUI stack, problem continues.

- Problem occurs both in Wayland and in X GUI sessions

- It was impossible to reproduce problem by recording and replaying the mouse events with
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/1.12.1/tools.html#libinput-record
(which typcially would be the case if it is a software/driver issue)

- I have a touch display but suffered no phantom clicks.  The laptop is entirely plane.

1 Message

April 20th, 2019 04:00

My touch pad was not working as well on my daughter 9575 15" computer. Somehow it got turned off in windows settings. I turned it back on and now is working fine. I found it in settings/devices/touchpad. Just sharing my experience and i hope this helps someone

11 Posts

April 24th, 2019 11:00

@razvi  no, I own it since Juli 2018. I did not return it, I got a new one instead.

My recommendation to everyone who experiences random touchpad freezing at the lower half of the Touchpad (or similar): Unfold the XPS from the left corner. Means, you need to open it up with holding the left corner to the ground and pulling up the display at the left corner.

Give it a try! The touchpad freezes of my old 9575 disappeared almost completely. I think it has something to do with mechanical tension in the body. I could explain it further, but my English is very bad.

1 Message

June 4th, 2019 10:00

To my surprise this actually fixed it. It has been a couple of days and the touchpad has been fine so far.

July 12th, 2019 09:00

If any of y'all are dumb like me, and bought a refurbished model, there is hope. My failure mode was not limited to the lower half of the trackpad, the whole pad would intermittently decide to go stupid and move the mouse where is darn well pleased. 

Dell won't sell you the sensor module (which is just the trackpad and its circuitry), but you can buy them online for pretty cheap. I got mine at PC parts people for $20, and the installation is thankfully pretty straightforward. Dell tries to hide the part number of the sensor module, but best as I can surmise, its 3T2W4, which appears to be compatible with other dell models, but I haven't verified that. 

Additionally, and I'm sure this is an artifact of buying mine cheap through a refurbisher, but after seeing that potential causes to the problem could be battery swelling, I took out my battery and found that every single one of the screws used to fasten the battery were the wrong size, according to the service manual specs.I wish I had replaced them before installing the new sensor module to see if it played a factor, but I was too lazy. Nevertheless, my trackpad has worked like a dream for the past 6 months, and I haven't messed with active pen at all. 

23 Posts

July 13th, 2019 11:00

I forgot to say:

During working with the agent I tried different things when the problem happened, and searched some more for info on the Internet.

First of all, I never could reproduce the problem with an external mouse. (Though this is not proof it does not happen due to the elusive nature of the bug).

I found a bug report for libinput (used by both X and Wayland for mouse input) for the 9575 which is similar in some ways and different in others:

The reporter says that it happens for him with an external mouse. He does not mention the "lower half". He says it happens for him after inactivity, which does not seem to be the case for me. However, he also mentions that it seems to detect one finger less than are touching - and I can repro this when my lower half goes seemingly dead:
1 Finger used > 0 Finger detected, lower half seems dead if you only use one finger
2 Fingers used > 1 Finger detected, mouse movement works
3 Fingers  used > 2 Fingers detected, two-finger scroll works

At the same time, pressure clicking in the lower half works normally, it detects 1 finger on click while it does not detect 1 finger for moving. This "one finger less" thing is the case during nearly all reproductions, but not 100%.

In the bug report it is first expected to be a software problem, but the libinput people don't think so due to the simplicity of their mouse code. Other software packages (Gnome) are suspected, but inconclusive, and the bug report closed, but a hardware issue is not ruled out.
No Events found!