Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 9th, 2018 16:00

XPS 15 Black Screen with Loading Cursor

XPS 15 L521X

Put laptop to sleep last night and found it today with a black screen and a movable blue loading cursor. It does not respond to holding down the power button, any keys including F12, F8, ctrl + shift + escape, or shift sticky key.

I've unplugged it until it died and booted back up multiple times, all I get is the Dell logo and then black screen with cursor. Looked like there may have been a pending Windows 10 update last night, could that be the issue? 

I'm pretty stuck at the moment, any suggestions? Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

June 9th, 2018 18:00

That suggests the issue is with the OS or drive settings.

In setup, ensure that the system is set to boot in UEFI mode (not legacy) and with secure boot ON.

If it still won't boot, you're going to need a bootable flash drive to attempt a repair - if you did not prepare one, youc an use the Windows media creator tools to do so now.  Boot the system from the flash drive (F12 at powerup) and try doing a repair install.

The Windows 10 ISO can be obtained from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

7 Posts

Looks like F12 also works after all, I just wasn't hitting it fast enough at startup. Still not sure how to proceed.

7 Posts

@ejn63 wrote:

Can you get into Setup (F2 at powerup)?

Yes looks like I can

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

Can you get into Setup (F2 at powerup)?

7 Posts

June 12th, 2018 18:00

I finally have a drive set up. 

In the repair options I have tried a startup repair, system restore, going back to a previous version and use a device (usb drive) and have yielded nothing. I'm worried about losing or damaging files. 

Should I just install Windows 10 from the drive?

No Events found!