Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

July 21st, 2019 06:00

XPS 15 - L501x completely freezing with update KB4507453 install stopping at 74%

Anyone else getting an issue with KB4507453?

I've downloaded the latest Windows 10 Pro iso and installed on L501x (128GB SSD and 8GB memory).

Tried to update from the Windows Update applet in settings, driver updates are installed but it tries to install KB4507453, downloads the update, gets to 74% of the installation and the whole laptop just freezes, mouse won't move, no errors shown on screen.

I also tried installing from the latest Fast Ring Windows 10 build and the laptop was locking up again after install, completely at random with no error message, eventually freezing completely at the login screen.

I've replaced my CPU fan, remounted the heatpipes and applied new thermal paste to all applicable points (Arctic Silver 5), replaced the bios battery with new CR2032 and replaced the SSD with a brand new Crucial BX500 128GB.

Tried re-installing and the same thing happens with the latest Windows 10 Pro iso.

Does anyone know of a workaround or a cause?

Anti-virus software has been mentioned in a lot of posts I've seen but I hadn't installed any yet, in fact, I hadn't installed any additional software yet.

I've downloaded the offline version of KB4507453 and going to try installing it in safe mode, see if that helps.

July 22nd, 2019 12:00

Well, I've installed Linux Mint with no issues whatsoever. I'll wait and see if Microsoft can remove their collective thumbs from their dark regions and fix the issues before coming back to Windows 10 on my L501x.

Their testing is really getting ridiculously bad.

No Events found!