Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

1 Message

March 29th, 2022 17:00

XPS 15 7590, problems since day 1

I bought an XPS 15 7590 via a custom quote in September of 2020. It has a been a problem from the day I opened the box. The charging port never worked right. This model also has a garbage audio chip that means I cannot use the built-in mic or I sound like a screeching robot and no one can understand me. I got this computer specifically because Dell paints themselves as Linux-friendly. Well, they have a workaround for this awful chip in Windows but not in Linux. I paid well over $1700 for this computer, and this is what Dell gives you for that kind of cash. The Dell sales rep who quoted my laptop forgot to include a warranty with it (like, how) so when I contacted tech support, nobody would talk to me. Everyone, including the sales rep, simply refused to respond to my emails, calls, and messages until the return window had passed. FINALLY got the warranty issue dealt with after several weeks and many wasted hours trying to get someone to do something - anything. Then I had to restart the process of filing tech support tickets. I eventually got a warranty replacement of the charging port. By that point, the computer wouldn't charge at all and often wouldn't recognize the charger itself. The computer was something like two months old by the time they agreed to fix it. Now the computer is a year and a half old. It's hot, it's loud, it's slowing down. The charging port is now completely loose again, even though I am very gentle with it, and it can't do more than hold the charge where it is while the computer is on. It drains while charging if I'm trying to actually do work. I wasted over $1700 on this garbage computer and I'll never give another dime to Dell. 

• 

25.7K Posts

March 30th, 2022 11:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

March 30th, 2022 12:00

If the charging port did not work out of the box, why did you not return the system then?

Dell does not support Linux on this model - it's Windows-only, 10 or 11.

The base warranty is 12 months, return to depot.  Anything above that, you would have had to request and pay for.

Any system that's been in use for a year and a half may simply need internal cleaning -- dust does accumulate, and depending on the number of power-on hours, the thermal pads may be starting to dry out.  You can either do the maintenance yourself (replace the DC jack while you're in there), or pay a computer shop to do the job.

6 Posts

January 16th, 2023 22:00

I bought this laptop in early 2021, and filed a trouble ticket immediately, but Dell dismissed it, and says there is no problem.  I purchased extended warranty support at the time I bought the laptop, and extended in April 2022. I called Dell in May 2022, and requested to send the laptop back to Dell.  Dell sent me a box, returned the laptop to a different address in January 2023, and without having done any repairs at all.  I called Dell again, and this time they sent a box to my Crescent City address even though the laptop was incorrectly delivered to my office in Palo alto.  I called Dell again, and instead of having FedEx pickup the box in Palo Alto, they sent a box to an unattended office in Palo Alto, and lied about it.  Today I requested a full refund from Dell, and have initiated a dispute with my bank.

(edited)

6 Posts

January 16th, 2023 22:00

The laptop doesn't work worse with windows than it does with Linux, and overheats more with windows than it does with Linux.  Linux is less likely to cause thermal throttling than windows, and offers tools that can help such as reducing the processor speeds etc.  The problem is that this laptop has innumerable thermal problems, and not just the defective thermal paste.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

April 16th, 2024 11:38

I can't agree more than what you said. I have the same issue here.

The super high temperature (Can cook an egg) when it is just running windows with nothing else.

My XPS 15:

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900H @ 2.50GHz   2.50 GHz

64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)

Windows 10 Home

22H2

The computer lags with just running OFFICE-Word. I spent nearly AU$6,000 and got this rubbish. Extremely disappointed!

This has been my 3rd Dell computer. I dare not buy another Dell product. MXXBOOK seems a better choice.

No Events found!