Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2018 06:00

XPS 13 9365 2-in-1, no video from BIOS on external monitor

Just got my new Xtreme Performance System XPS 13 2 in 1 (9365). Video output to the external monitor only works within Windows it does not work in the UEFI BIOS... 

1. USB Type C to USB 3.0 (to keyboard and mouse) work in the UEFI BIOS setup and Windows.

2. USB Type C to HDMI does not work in the UEFI BIOS setup but works in Windows. This happens irregardless whether the lid is closed and when the lid is opened. Surely it should be setup so that within the UEFI BIOS setup video output should be mirrored through all Type C ports? It means if there is a problem with the screen one simply has no means to access the UEFI BIOS setup...

In my case I cannot use a video capture device within the UEFI BIOS setup which is one of the first things I wanted to do when I bought said system. Has Dell or anyone else tested this? Does one require the Dock in order to get video output at UEFI?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 15th, 2018 07:00

Dell docks would use the same USB-C/Thunderbolt connector, specifically the GPU outputs wired to them, so I doubt they'd perform any differently.  However, some systems including my XPS 15 9530 only display boot-time video on external displays if the system is powered up with the lid closed.  I don't know where the Power button/switch is on the 9365, but if that's not possible, then you can try powering it on and closing the lid immediately.  Alternatively, boot it up, close the lid while in Windows, and then restart while the lid is still closed.  If even that doesn't work, then boot-time video on an external display may not be possible on that system, though I agree this would be frustrating for the reasons you describe.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 18th, 2018 15:00

I can confirm it works here is a screenshot of my UEFI BIOS setup from my XPS 13 2 in 1 9265 attached to the Dell Dock TB16 which is attached via HDMI to my USB 3 Capture Device which is attached to a USB 3 port on my XPS 8300. The XPS 9365's lid is closed. In Windows change what closing the lid does when plugged in is set to do nothing. The system is then shut down and then powered up via the button on the Dell Dock. [F2] is then pressed to enter the UEFI BIOS setup.

uefi.png

18 Posts

I have 9550 and Dell TB15 - and believe me, any output before OS will boot will be shown only on internal screen. So if you will get any fault with you embedded screen - you will not be able to work with UEFI settings :)

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Thanks for letting me know that a Dell TB15 won't show anything in the UEFI BIOS setup. My system works fine but I wanted to use it to record screenshots of the UEFI BIOS setup because it has a new touch-based interface and some new features like Data Wipe that I wanted to write guides about.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Thunderbolt is different because by default, the system's Thunderbolt controller isn't allowed to work at boot-time, so using a TB16 with a system in its default configuration the same as using a USB-C to HDMI connector.  The reason boot-time Thunderbolt isn't allowed by default is that a) anything connected at that point bypasses the normal Thunderbolt device security settings that don't get enforced until the OS loads, and b) boot-time Thunderbolt can cause problems with BitLocker because connecting/disconnecting certain types of devices (including a TB16) will cause the system's TPM to determine that the boot-time hardware environment has changed and therefore refuse to release the BitLocker decryption key, at which point the would have to enter the 48-digit Recovery Key.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Again, the TB15/16 or any Thunderbolt device is a separate case.  Boot-time video via a Thunderbolt device will definitely not work with the default settings, even when the lid is closed.  It MAY work if you muck with the Thunderbolt settings in the BIOS, if you'd be ok with the issues I mentioned.  The lid closure suggestion was for the OP who was using a device that interfaced with the system over regular USB-C / DisplayPort Alt Mode.

18 Posts

Tomorrow i can try to power on laptop with lid closed using my TB15 - it has power on button on dock itseld that operates as mirror to original power button on laptop

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 15th, 2018 09:00

Sorry to clarify I am the op I just signed into the new forums with an old email. Previously my old and new email were linked to the same account.

Firstly the power button is on the side of the XPS 9365 (something I checked before buying).

Secondly I have logged into Windows and changed the power settings to do nothing when the lid is closed. Then closed the lid and then powered down and up. If I press [F2] to enter the UEFI BIOS setup then I get nothing showing on my external monitor. If I open up the lid I get the UEFI BIOS setup... If I don't press [F2] I see Windows as normal.

I did muck about with some of the settings in UEFI. There was an Enable Thunderbolt Boot Support (Which I was hopeful about) 2:06 in this video. There is also the option always allow Dell Docks which is why I was curious if they would always work even in UEFI BIOS - but don't have the Dell Dock to test with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4cU1R085w

18 Posts

January 15th, 2018 11:00

I have opposite answer to what others are writing here - just tried to boot 9550 with TB15 connected, having lid closed and pressing power button on dock itself, and having 4K monitor connected directly to TB3 dock - and i can see all boot process starting from Dell logo. So looks like at least TB dock and power-on with closed lid works.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 15th, 2018 23:00

Great thanks for letting me know. Just to clarify you can see the entire BIOS setup and Boot Menu etc. on the external monitor? If so I will buy the dock. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 16th, 2018 06:00

Goodwinc, do you have Thunderbolt boot support and/or “Allow Dell Docks” enabled in the BIOS? Or did you reduce your Thunderbolt security setting from SL1 to SL0? If so, that isn’t really the opposite of what I’ve been saying. I said that boot-time video over Thunderbolt could be made to work, but that I don’t believe it does on the default settings, and the changes required carried some security and possibly functional drawbacks.
No Events found!