Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

14 Posts

May 9th, 2019 15:00

XPS 9380 FHD 13: JPEG-like artifacts on LCD

I have just bought the XPS 13 9380 with FHD screen, and I am experiences some LCD glitches. I am wondering if it's a general issue with this model or that my laptop is broken. It concerns JPEG-like artifacts, especially visible around black font on a grey or white background. See example below. The effect is quite subtle and I didn't notice it at first. But now I know it I see it all the time and it bother me a lot. On the right you see a zoomed screen capture, so this is how it should look also when small. On the left you see a picture I made with my phone. You see that there are blocks which are a bit lighter/are blue, for example: the bottom part of the first "g"  and "o" is a bit white, around the tips of the first "v" there are blue areas which shouldn't be there etc. When I use Windows Magnifier to zoom in, the effect disappears, therefore it seems to be a hardware issue. I would be really glad if other users with the same screen could confirm whether this is only my problem or a general problem. The snapshot in original (small) size can be downloaded here. You have to open it in Paint to see the unscaled, small size image, (it's not visible in the standard Photos app! You really have to click "open with" and choose Paint). In my case the effects as seen on the left photo then appear.

I am also probably going to contact consumer support but I guess that will be quite hard not having the person sitting next to me, therefore I'd like to check if other users have similar issues.

photo of LCD screen using phone cameraphoto of LCD screen using phone camera
software screen capture using snip&sketchsoftware screen capture using snip&sketch

14 Posts

January 24th, 2021 12:00

Sigh... the problem is unfortunately coming back often now. Don't know why, maybe after some update. Seems like Panel Self Refresh auto-enables some times, even if it is disabled in the Intel Graphics Control Panel. The problem goes away when I open the graphics control panel, go to power settings, even though panel self refresh is already "disabled", i click "enable" and immediately "disable" again, then I click "apply", then reboot...

Would be terrific if panel self refresh could just be get rid of forever

14 Posts

October 9th, 2023 20:41

small update, 2 3/4 years, windows 10->11 and many driver updates later: the issue still persists...

My windows 11 login background is now a 'test pattern' i made where I can immediately see if the issue is there or not. If it's there, I open the intel graphics control panel, go to power, enable and then disable panel self refresh (so the settings starts disabled, but apparently it's not disabled at all). Then go to sleep mode and wake up. Then it's fine. I can't find consistency when the issue pops up again, but on average about 25% of cases when i wake up/boot the laptop

(edited)

No Events found!