Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

September 15th, 2022 08:00

XPS 9520 Edrive/SED support

It's time to update my 9560 to a 9520, the question is with windows 11 pro will it support the SED eDrive protocols or is it the same old story of zero support again?

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

September 15th, 2022 08:00

If you want support for self encrypting drives, look at the Latitude or Precision line --  not the XPS models.

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 01:00

The laptop does support this but getting it to work properly is another story.

I set the SSD to secure mode, enabled bitlocker via a google link explaining the steps, I had to make a custom install so it prevented windows starting software encryption by default

I got it working via bitlocker as hardware encryption but the spanner in the works was the fact the BIOS now sees this as a drive with a password. Due to this on every boot it asks for the password, there is no password. You can't set a password in advance or you can't turn on drive encryption, once the password is removed you can set it on.

When it asks for the password you can click cancel, windows will boot normally.

I couldn't be doing with the password screen every time, that is not why I use bitlocker.

Back to no encryption again as this seems to be a BIOS bug.

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

December 26th, 2022 11:00

Great to see Dell support are still useless.

1 Rookie

• 

11 Posts

January 16th, 2023 16:00

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

April 8th, 2023 08:00

I'm due to fit new drives and RAM and wondered if anyone's had a crack at this again to see if it moans about a drive password a few BIOS revisions on.

No Events found!