Start a Conversation

Unsolved

11 Posts

January 2nd, 2021 02:00

XPS 9570 GPU temp issue - how to deal with it?

Hi guys,
I'm XPS 9570 user and after two years of using it I can say - I regret buying this laptop.

Besides a lot of annoying bugs like keyboard problems, one thing causes this laptop to disappoint me enormously - the approach of Dell's support to problem with GPU. In a laptop with good parameters, I cannot play any new game, even on the lowest settings. This is a known temperature limit issue limited by BIOS update to 74C (without informing the users) - https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-bring-back-the-78-C-GPU-set-point/td-p/6194501

I'm not a gamer, I'm using my laptop to work.
However, none of the competing laptops have such big limitations / problems with running games. The fact that this is a work laptop should not be an argument for everything.

I have a few questions for you in connection with the above:

• Is there any way to go back to BIOS version 1.2.2?
  • Can you lower the GPU / CPU voltage after the last BIOS update (1.17.1)? I checked ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, but I have such options blocked.
  • How do you deal with this laptop if you want to run a game? Is your only option to sell it and buy something competitive?

11 Posts

January 4th, 2021 04:00

@DELL-Cares I can't answer you in private message (I don't have button Reply anymore - in both, Edge and Chrome browsers). So I moved our discussion here. If you want move our discussion to an email, please just send me one. Replies: I used Windows Task Manager, HWiNFO, MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X1 to monitor GPU (also temperature) always with the same result - as soon as the GPU reaches a temperature of 74/75C, it lowers its frequency significantly. At the moment, all the other components (except the battery I mentioned) seem to be working fine. The CPU performance is also fine (I use it very intensively in my work).

11 Posts

January 11th, 2021 05:00

For now I've received such a reploy from Support (after veeery long discusion). I hope this is not the end of the story.

Hi, 

I'm Tabassum, one of the Supervisors at Dell Social Media Support. Kiran brought this case to my attention. I've reviewed your journey with us and I apologize for the inconvenience you’ve experienced. 

First of all, thank you for your feedback. From my review, I see that you have a concern with BIOS limitation on temperature. I am raising this case with our technical steam further review. 

Having said that, your resolution expert will be in touch with you if they need to capture further details to put forward this request

Thanks for your time and patience.

Best regards, 
Dell Social Media Team

• 

25.1K Posts

January 14th, 2021 23:00

Hi,

We want to let you know that our Level 3 team is still working on your case and we will get back to you as soon as there is an update. Sorry for the delay. 

11 Posts

January 19th, 2021 01:00

I've got a reply and I am saddened by Dell's attitude. I've always believed that Dell is distinguished by support and quality of workmanship. Here we can see the opposite - Dell pretends that there is no problem, despite the fact that it has been reported by many users (e.g. here).

Unfortunately, I really regret buying XPS, I also advise against such a purchase for people who are considering it. I also don't want to have anything to do with this brand anymore.

As a curiosity, one of the XPS users wrote to me privately (on another forum) how to change the temperature limits for GPU using an external tool. After that (and the purchase of a cooling pad), my XPS is doing great with the games I wanted (e.g. Cyberpunk). It just shows that Dell's support attitude is embarrassing (and that they deny reality).

Here is Dell answer:

Hi, 
We have reviewed this case with our team and this is working as intended. BIOS team is not planning on releasing a BIOS that sets throttling back to 78C. This was tested by the core team who stated that FPS looked normal and 3DMark11 scores passed our performance criteria for each.
Geoffrey

41 Posts

March 13th, 2021 07:00

First on-topic, no, wasn't able to solve it. Just learned to live with it.

Second, other beautiful things I've learned to live with as an owner of this model:

- thin horizontal line on the screen that can only be see on white background;

- random fan usage, while system idle, all services and apps off;

- incompatibility with expensive Thunderbolt docking units with 4k output (all of those work perfectly with HP notebooks that are 1/3 of the Dell one).

Dell, never again.

March 13th, 2021 22:00

Yeah you said it right. I too had 4 laptops at home including the Dell Inspiron (purchased February 2021) which I recently purchased. Other 3 laptops are of HP and none had any issues whatsoever.

These days Dell has degraded the quality so much. I don't know what to say. Dell never again.

May 9th, 2021 14:00

turn off intel speedstep in bios

1 Message

July 4th, 2021 02:00

Hey I've got the same laptop had the same problem you need to take off the old thermal paste and apply new and clean the dirt from the fan intake and exhaust areas.. it wont be running that temp if it can dissipate more heat quicker u see where in at

No Events found!