Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 8th, 2018 15:00

XPS 15 9570, 4K UHD monitor, HDMI

I am trying to connect my xps 9570 to a samsung 4k uhd monitor through hdmi. When I connect directly from laptop to monitor it says on the monitors setting that it is at 30 hz. When I connect to an usb adapter to hdmi to the monitor it shows that it is at 50hz. With 30 hz the display is very choppy. With 50 hz, it is better but videos are not still not very good. How do I make this better? Do I need to connect through thunderbolt c or buy a new hdmi cable? My monitor only has 1 hdmi port, I read that some monitors have two and your display is effected depending on which one you connect with.

Thanks in advance.

1 Message

June 22nd, 2018 21:00

I figured this one out just now (writing out complete directions for posterity).  In Windows go to Change Display Properties > Advanced Display Settings > Display Adapter Properties > Monitor > Screen Refresh Rate, and set the display to 60hz.  When you encounter an application that has display issues (cuts out audio or video) then go into the Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3d Settings > Program Settings, and select the program from the drop-down.  Then just below that, change it from "Use global setting" to "High performance NVIDIA processor".

The issue is that, while the 9570 supports HDMI 2.0 with 4k@60hz, the integrated Intel graphics have trouble keeping up.  I tried manually installing the latest Intel drivers from the Intel site, as per other posts, but that didn't help.  Forcing the Nvidia processor seems to fix everything though.  Interestingly, I tried setting the Global Settings > "Preferred graphics processor" to the Nvidia card, but that did NOT fix things like I thought it would. 

So far I have only had to do this for Chrome (full-screen browser videos had issues) and some random games.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 8th, 2018 15:00

I believe the built-in HDMI port only supports HDMI 1.4, which only allows 4K at 30 Hz.  USB video adapters (meaning USB-A or "regular USB" adapters, as opposed to USB-C adapters) bring a whole other set of problems with them and should only be used when you don't have any other option. The reason is that they actually don't even tap into the GPU's native output capability; instead, they rely on your CPU and GPU to compress video data, send it over USB as standard data traffic, and then have a chip inside the adapter decompress it.  That can lead to problems like compression artifacts and inconsistent/judder-y motion, especially when running high resolution displays, when a lot of content is changing on the display at once (like when watching full screen video), and/or when your CPU or USB bus are already fairly heavily utilized.

What you want is a USB-C adapter, since USB-C allows tapping into a native GPU output.  Specifically, you want a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter -- not all USB-C to HDMI adapters support 2.0! -- and then an HDMI cable that supports 18 Gbps transfer rates.  Note that even though the adapter supports HDMI 2.0, you will still NOT be able to use HDR because the system is only outputting a DisplayPort 1.2 signal over USB-C, which does not support HDR.  You will however be able to run 4K at 60 Hz in SDR.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 8th, 2018 16:00

One further clarification to the above.  If you get that adapter, make sure it ONLY does USB-C to HDMI.  Do NOT buy something like a "mini-dock" or dongle that offers other connectivity, such as USB-A, wired Ethernet, SD card readers, etc.  Those adapters configure the host USB-C port to carry video and USB data simultaneously, but when you do that, your available video bandwidth gets cut in half in order to support the data traffic, which brings you back down to 4K at 30 Hz max.  You need an adapter that ONLY carries video so the full bandwidth of the USB-C port is dedicated to video.  This situation will improve once systems that support DisplayPort 1.3 or better over USB-C start arriving on the market, and in fact the Dell DA300 adapter is already ready for such systems.  It can support 4K at 60 Hz even while offering other types of connectivity, but only when connected to a host that supports DP 1.3 over USB-C, and to my knowledge there aren't any on the market yet.  I wrote a technical post about all of this here if you're interested.

June 15th, 2018 04:00

Hello,

I also bought the new 9570 and specifically I am insisting on that the product page mentions it supports HDMI 2.0. See this product page (German though): https://www.dell.com/de-de/shop/cty/pdp/spd/xps-15-9570-laptop/cnx97009

5. Netzteil | 6. HDMI 2.0 | 7. Thunderbolt™ 3

The internet says that every HDMI 2.0 port must support 4k@60 Hz. This is the only reason I bought this Dell laptop, as I want to use the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port for a docking station.

Of course my monitor supports 4k@60 Hz (even through the HDMI input in the monitor) and it works flawlessly when connecting it via Thunderbolt 3. Sadly, it works only with 30 Hz when using the HDMI output port of the laptop. I ordered an HDMI 2.0 cable at Amazon saying it supports 4k@60 Hz: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B014I8SSD0

How can I solve on this problem? I also searched through the BIOS/UEFI settings - nothing.

Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 15th, 2018 06:00

In that case I'm not sure what to tell you, other than making sure you have the latest drivers and firmware.  But if you're going to be buying a docking station, why not just connect the display to the docking station?  The Dell TB16 dock can support dual 4K displays at 60 Hz. You'd need the version that comes with the 240W adapter if you want to use it to power the XPS 15 adequately, fyi.

June 15th, 2018 11:00

Thanks for your answer. Two reasons for that:

1. I bought the laptop for our company and a TB16 is not in the budget anymore. The docking station I'd got would be like 60 to 70 bucks, only to multiply USB-A ports and ethernet.

2. I expect that HDMI 2.0 actually works without having to buy another adapter for multiple hundreds of dollars.

I got the latest drivers and Windows versions already.

What else can I do about it? Can the laptop even deliver HDMI 2.0 with 4k@60 Hz through the HDMI port?

Thanks & Bye!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 15th, 2018 13:00

You're certainly right that HDMI 2.0 is mentioned on the spec page; I hadn't noticed that before, and I guess I just assumed that hadn't changed from the previous generation because the XPS 15 is now on its third generation of essentially the same design and feature set except for generational bumps to the CPU and GPU.  Anyway, yes you absolutely should be able to run 4K at 60 Hz out of an HDMI 2.0 output, and you shouldn't need to change any Windows or BIOS settings in order to do that, so given that you can't, I don't really know what else to suggest at this point.  Just to be absolutely sure, if you haven't already done this, test your display and your new HDMI cable with another PC (or other HDMI device capable of 4K at 60 Hz output) to verify that your cable and display will actually carry it.  If you confirm that and the PC is still an issue, I suppose it's possible that there's a hardware issue with that system.  If you can't do 4K at 60 Hz from some other device, it could be the cable.  Even cables rated for 4K at 60 Hz can be defective/unreliable, after all.

June 19th, 2018 06:00

Okay.

1 Message

August 17th, 2018 10:00

I'm having the same issue and in my case everything is from Dell. 

XPS 9570 to Dell S2817Q via the included HDMI2.0 cable and 60hz isn't even an option from the Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel > General Settings > Refresh Rate. Only has 60hz as option if I drop resolution to 1920x1080 but tech specs claims otherwise.

"Native Resolution
4K UHD (2160p) 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz"

Everything looks muted and bland, especially when I'm mirroring the display and the difference from the laptop screen is glaring.

30 Posts

September 13th, 2018 00:00

I have the same problem but 60hz setting is not available at all in the mentioned settings page. Now, could any Dell staff shed some light on why buying their premium laptops with premium price tag involves us hacking around to make it work matching their own specifications? Why anyone would use their laptops if they are unable to get everything to work out of the box? Finally can a knowledgeable Dell support staff answer the simple question: how to make 4k monitor work at 60hz full resolution trough the HDMI 2.0 port from a 2018 Dell XPS 9570 laptop?

1 Message

September 13th, 2018 21:00

I paid $876 for my New XPS 9560 from a major online dealer's closeout sale so it was a heck of a deal. I sort of had buyers remorse due to the 8th Gen Intel processors, 1050ti, and HDMI 2.0 upgrades in the 9570. But at this point I don't  regret my insane deal at all.. Dell and Nvidia need to work together to develop BIOS and driver updates that will make the 1050 be the primary video and 3D display driver. It would take so much work off the CPUs. 4K 60Hz would be a piece of cake over HDMI 2.0. I was hopping you 9570 owners would confirm that it could send 4k HDR to a TV or monitor. Unfortunately I'm disappointed.

44 Posts

September 24th, 2018 23:00

I have a LG 27 inch 4K monitor and am using it with HDMI on my 9570 at 60Hz. It worked out of the box. I only needed to connect the HDMI cable to a second HDMI connector in the monitor because, for some reason, the first one was limited to 30Hz.
I didn't need to change any settings, it just worked.
I wouldn't know if HDR would work on a HDR monitor.

How about you try installing different Intel graphics drivers, try few versions of them, some from Dell and some directly from Intel?

And check the monitor settings, make sure it's set to 60Hz, or that some advanced monitor features don't conflict with 4K 60Hz.
And of course, make sure the cable is working OK and it's HDMI 2.0. However obvious, the cable is the most common problem.

1 Message

November 27th, 2018 13:00

Thanks for this!  I have an LG 24UD58 4K UHD display.  Dell XPS 15 9570.  Couldn't get more than 30Hz on display until I moved the HDMI 2.0 cable from PORT 2 to PORT 1 on the DISPLAY.  Guess I should have read the display user manual to learn that you have to use PORT 1 or the DisplayPort to get 4K at 60Hz.  Your post led me to the solution.

1 Message

July 29th, 2019 16:00

I have the LG 32UK50T-W the only port that worked was HDMI-1 both HDMI-2 and the display port (via dp - HDMI cable) did not work.

No Events found!