Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 11th, 2018 12:00

XPS 9570 gets hot when charging via USB-C

I have an XPS 15 (9570) that I use with a WD15 dock (180W). When connected to the dock, the left side of the laptop (left of the Ctrl key) gets quite hot to the touch (60-80°C). Is this normal? CPU temp is 47°C when idle.

Thermal camera image of XPS 9570 charging via USB-C

1 Message

July 10th, 2018 15:00

I confirm this. Just a USBC-DP cable driving a 4k monitor has the PCH temp at 76 degrees celsius. Laptop hot to the touch on LHS.

1 Message

August 11th, 2018 03:00

I'm seeing the same thing. 

I was trying actually to figure out why Assassins Creed started stuttering and running slowly when plugged into my TB16 dock - even with no external monitors turned on.  I have no issues with the game when running on battery - but plug in the docking station and within a minute or two things start stuttering like slowing down to the point of becoming unusable.    

I'm starting to suspect it is heat causing everything to slow down as, to the touch, my 9570 feels very much like your image.  

1 Message

September 28th, 2018 20:00

Hi,

I also facing the same problem, but mine get extremely hot even trying to charge with the power adapter. Did you had the same problem with your unit too? 

48 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 21:00

I can confirm as well. The temperature gets really high with a USB-C dock/charger plugged in and no CPU usage. Its very very hot to touch and my measurement suggests close to 65C in the hottest stop.

Can someone from Dell confirm if this is OK? Is there a BIOS fix coming for this? I don't think this is normal and it will ruin the battery/electronics around this area in the long run.

October 3rd, 2018 21:00

Update - about three weeks after I start this thread, my laptop stopped charging via USB-C. Dell replaced the motherboard under warranty. Now it still gets hot, but perhaps not quite as hot? I don't recommend charging over USB-C unless you have an active warranty.

48 Posts

October 22nd, 2018 09:00

This is scary. I have a USB hub which connects to my monitor and also charges the laptop over USB-C. Now, I need to find another hub?

1 Message

April 12th, 2020 20:00

The same issue happens for me when a ethernet to USB C hub is connected. It get so hot that if i leave my hand there for 3-4 minutes it will make my skin burn and turn red. I have told dell about this i don't know how many times. they replaced the laptop sent a tech to fix it. nothing has worked. Did any of you get a reply for this from dell.

1 Message

May 26th, 2020 09:00

Hello,

I had this same problem and then USB-C charging failed after working fine for a few months.  I am using a USB-C port expander (not the Dell dock) that has HDMI, USB ports, as well as USB-C PD.  I'm charging with a 90W USB-C adapter, but the Dell only sees 65W (that's the most we can get without a Dell adapter, it seems). 

The left-hand side by the USB-C was burning hot whenever I used this for a couple months.  I actually ended up getting a small external fan to blow on that area, thinking that it might help to avoid damage due to overheating.

Eventually, however, the laptop stopped taking charge through the USB-C, even though everything else still worked (monitor, USB devices, and audio to speakers).  In BIOS, the laptop would identify a 65W charger connected, but it'd still be "discharging."

Luckily, I had extended the warranty and a tech came out with a replacement (refurbished) motherboard.  He had to take everything out, and showed me how the laptop fans and heatsinks were completely clogged with dust, which he cleaned out.

After the replacement, the left-hand side does not get noticeably hot at all with the USB-C port expander and PD charging.

So, either the new motheboard has the overheating issue resolved for USB-C charging, or it was somehow associated with the cooling fans being so badly clogged.  I think it's a change in the motherboard, though, because I don't think the fans really directly cool that area and also, as I type this, the fans are not blowing noticeably and that area is not even really warm.

3 Posts

July 15th, 2020 03:00

I got exactly the same thing as @cw76, anyone has update on this?

with TB16: I got overheat on top left corner (area near power port and usb type c port) with light usage (chrome tabs, youtube...). The fan is really noisy like jet engine but air outflow is not that hot, but top left corner is burning.

without TB16: My laptop back to normal whatever it is on battery or charger plugged.

Surely, everything is up to dated.

January 8th, 2021 00:00

Unfortunately, same here.

January 19th, 2021 13:00

I also have this issue on my 9560. All I'm using are USB-C headphones and the port gets very hot when in use, along with the connector on the headphones. Quite dissatisfied with this. 

21 Posts

April 6th, 2021 12:00

Had the same issue and discovered a work around.  If I was doing anything on the laptop while on the dock it would shutdown with a thermal error. I found if I had the battery charged to 100% prior to putting on the dock I have no issues.   Something about the rapid charger on this dock and dell has been very little help on this. 

1 Message

May 29th, 2021 01:00

I have too the same Problem not only when I am charging via USB-C but General when I am using the USB-C !!!

I am thinking that the problem could be Hardware problem with USB-C Circuit  

Couldn't DELL give us an answer about? .......  

of course I have done all Bios and Windows 10 Updates  

5 Posts

July 18th, 2021 22:00

Also had this problem with my XPS 9560. I'm not using a dock, but i'm using a TYPE-C to DP (4k 60hz) cable. It doesn't heat up before when I was using an HDMI to HDMI cable, but it wasn't an option for me since HDMI to HDMI can only give me 4k 30hz. With TYPE C to DP... the temp of on the left side of the laptop is out of control, my laptop becomes hot even on idle.

What works thou is I went to BIOS.
-System Configuration --> USB Configuration --> Security level

Under security level, I checked "Display Port Only" since I'm only using type c to use my 4k external monitor.

Now my temp is back to normal. My advice is to not charge your laptop via USB-C, there has been rumors that it isn't safe to charge via usb-c, I think you can disable the charging function of usb-c on bios and only use it for other stuff except charging.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 26th, 2024 01:56

I have exactly same issue, same parts overheat left side of ctrl key,

my one is precision 5530, tried to change security level to 'display port only', it doesn't work

I see many of this issue from web, but some says even board replacement didn't work.

DELL should provide BIOS fix for this.

I tried to downgrade bios one by one, but at some point of version, it doesn't support downgrade more.

so couldn't try very old BIOS

is anybody solved this overheat issue?

No Events found!