Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

3 Posts

March 19th, 2020 07:00

XPS Internal and external microphones not working

Hi everyone, 

I am having an issue where whenever I try and video conference, my internal microphone doesn't pick up any sound. I have plugged in some headphone and set that as the microphone, and that also doesn't pick up any sound. I can get by with using my cell phone to call into conferences, but our video conferencing platform, Zoom, has warned that the phone services may become limited in the near future because of COVID-19.

I have already tried updating my drivers manually and through the Dell support site. Still no luck. Any thoughts? Or is this an issue where I will need make a warranty claim?

Thanks!

Sarah

Update: I've actually isolated the problem! It think it's actually a windows issue and not a problem with the hardware. I tested the microphone on Skype and it works. It works on Microsoft applications but not on any others. On privacy settings under microphone, my coworkers have an option to "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone," but that section is entirely missing from that page on mine.  Not sure if anyone on here can help with this issue or not. 

380 Posts

March 20th, 2020 05:00

Hi Sarah,

1. Which XPS model do you have?

2.  What version/build of Windows 10 do you have? Right-click on the Start button, select "Run", enter "winver" (without the quotes) in the box, and click "OK".

3. When you used Skype, were you able to do the "Test". You could also use the "Voice Recorder" to say some words and check if what you said was recorded.

4. Under the "Settings" > "Privacy" is there an entry for "Microphone"?

5. If yes, is there should be the following sections:

(1) "Allow access to the microphone on this device": Below that it should say that "Microphone access for this device is on" followed by a "Change" button.

(2) "Allow apps to access your microphone": That should be "ON".

(3)  "Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone": Following that is a list of Microsoft apps which may use the microphone. Most of these apps need not be turned on unless you know you are using them.

(4) "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone". This should be "ON" especially if you are using the desktop version of Skype. It should list the last accessed date Skype was used.

JohnD

3 Posts

March 20th, 2020 06:00

Thanks @johnptd!

My problem was definitely in the Windows Privacy > Microphone settings. The section called  "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone" was not there. The page just stopped after it listed all the Microsoft products. We have a program that is supposed to push Windows updates to our computers but apparently it has not been doing that on mine (yikes! That's a whole different issue there!). I ran Windows updates and the  "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone" showed up. Problem solved. Thanks for your help!

380 Posts

March 21st, 2020 02:00

You are very welcome.

Enjoy,

JohnD

1 Message

April 12th, 2020 17:00

Hi,

Similar issue - new XPS 13 7390 - people are unable to hear me by laptop microphone or on headphones (they work on my phone).  I ensured above were "on", did troubleshooting, there was no loud beep when colored strips appeared, reboot but still no go.  Not very tech savvy.

I appreciate you help.

No Events found!