Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

August 3rd, 2021 10:00

XPS L502X Replacement battery

Does anyone know where i can buy a replacement battery for my dell XPS l502x the laptop is 10 years old and dell no longer stock batteries for this model. Dell have referred me to Upgrade B2B IT Reseller but they do not have any dell original batteries and can only provide a third party battery and have not named the brand of battery i have no idea who Upgrade B2B IT are and if they provide a good product. If i can not find  a dell original any idea who makes good third party batteries

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 3rd, 2021 11:00

You are stuck using the adapter all the time now. Third party batteries are usually scams and can even damage the computer. You probably will be replacing the old model soon when Windows 11 comes out. See this-- FAQ - Laptop battery articles - Dell Community

The laptop will be a desktop replacement now so be sure to shutdown properly every time you unplug the adapter. Don't leave the laptop plugged in when it is not in use.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2021 13:00

There likely are no new OEM batteries for a system this old.  Your best bet is to search for a reliable supplier of third-party batteries -- at least one that has a large number of ratings, not all of which are perfect.

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

August 7th, 2021 01:00

forgot to ask is there anyway to permanently disable battery charging without having to go to the dell battery meter every time i restart/switch on to disable battery charging. the option does not exist in the bios

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

August 7th, 2021 04:00

If the original battery is dead, remove it from the system and recycle it.  That will both disable charging and prevent the battery from swelling and causing a safety hazard -- and physical risk to the system.

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

August 8th, 2021 07:00

commodon_1-1628433770298.png

The XPS L502x is a workhorse!

I bought mine new with top of the line components in 2011. I initially ran XP then later upgraded to Windows 7. Up'd the memory to 16GB and ran a bunch of Linux VM's on VMWare Workstation. I never had any issues with it that weren't self-induced. During the years I replaced the battery a few times, the bottom shell (because I cracked it). All the while whenever I needed parts after Dell dropped the model, I turned to "Parts People". They had everything! It was just this year I decided to retire the XPS L502x for an XPS 15 9500.

Best of luck trying to find an OEM battery. Unfortunately (as other's have said) they will be difficult if not impossible to find new. Even "Parts People" no longer have OEM batteries for sale for the L502x.

October 24th, 2022 05:00

Even without battery, I think laptops cannot be equated as a desktop replacement because you can pack your laptop in your backpack and take it with you while travelling. Yes, in the absence of battery, you will not be able to use it while travelling, but then in the world of smartphones and tablets, who would want to use a laptop during travelling, that too a home computer?

October 21st, 2023 07:03

Well, Thanks for all the responses. I have replaced the battery a couple of times, but it has again failed within 6 months. I guess the real issue for me now is that I use this laptop to write .NET applications and the last thing I would want is to lose all my work because of a power cut.

I think there is a simple solution to this problem. I have decided to purchase a UPS for my laptop. That way, I will get some time to save my work.

No Events found!