Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

3 Posts

May 21st, 2020 00:00

XPS13 9300 4K screen brightness dynamically changing

I just bought XPS13 9300 with UHD screen ( 4K ) but while I was watching video with full screen , the screen change the brightness according to the picture. it's quite annoying . any possible to disable it ? 

73 Posts

May 21st, 2020 09:00

Hi,

adaptive brightness can be enabled and disabled in the Intel Graphics Configuration Center Application (translation from French so the name might not be exactly this).

Inside the app click on "System" on the left and then "Power" on the top

You can activate / deactivate it separately for Battery and AC Power

Hope that helps.

BR

Lutz 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 21st, 2020 11:00

@hakuto08  and @LuMe96  There are actually a few possible sources of this behavior.  Adaptive Brightness is one of them, but that's actually found in Power Options, not Intel HD Graphics Control Panel (or Command Center, depending on your driver version).  Another possible source is Intel Display Power Saving Technology, which I personally always disable because it can also change contrast and cause colors and the image overall to look washed out and drab.  The third possibility is Content Adaptive Backlight Control (CABC), which is a hardware capability on the XPS 13.  And if you Google "XPS 13 CABC", you will find some complaints about it.  I haven't kept up with those to see if there's a way to disable or modify it, but hopefully this points you in the right direction.

3 Posts

May 21st, 2020 21:00

Hi there

thanks for your reply .

I'd like to disable Intel Display Power Saving , but I don't know where is the option .

and the CABC one,  I cannot find anu solution to disable it for XPS 13 9300 , I found a lot for other model . like XPS 13 9360

73 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 00:00

Hi @hakuto08 ,

As for the power saving, you can find it in 2 places :

Despite what @jphughan wrote I do have it in the Intel Graphics configuration center (or whatever the English name, just search Intel in the Windows search bar) here, it is part of the apps suggested on the Dell support page, don't know if it comes preinstalled, I setup my XPS from scratch (sorry screenshot in French) :

Snipaste_2020-05-22_09-11-55.png

However, this is exactly the same as going into Settings --> Display and ticking off the checkbox below the brightness slider. Be aware that the system registers 2 choices here, not visible, one for "on battery" the other "on AC power". So while in the Display settings you should plug/unplug the AC power to see / change this setting for both cases (on battery and on AC power).

Sorry again for French screenshot :

Snipaste_2020-05-22_09-20-32.png

Now I'm only using my XPS for 1 day really, long story, but with those all off I haven't experienced any automatic brightness adjustment on Netflix / Amazon Prime video yet.

As to CABC, I have no idea. If it is a hardware capacity, as suggested in this thread, maybe there is a Bios setting? I haven't checked at all.

BR

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 03:00

thanks for your help

I have done what you instructed to me .

will observe for a few days 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 06:00

@LuMe96  Interesting, I didn't realize Intel had incorporated an adaptive brightness toggle into their application.  What you're showing is the new HD Graphics Command Center, so maybe that was when they added it.  But do you really have to swich your system from battery to AC power in order to change the setting for both situations?  You can't just click the "On Battery" and "On AC Power" heading in order to access both settings without having to actually change power sources?  That was possible with the older HD Graphics Control Panel for settings that could be set differently for different power sources.

73 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 07:00

Hi @jphughan ,

I actually set up my laptop from scratch yesterday so chances are indeed I have the very latest version

Sorry, maybe my explanation wasn't precise enough. Basically, the setting in the Intel HD command center and the one in the system settings --> Display is/are the same. Toogle in one will toogle in the other and vice versa.

Now you're perfectly right, in the Intel HD command center you can change the setting separately for AC and battery, see points labelled 3 and 4 in my screenshot (no need to actually unplug or plug the AC power to the device).

In the system settings --> Display screen however, there's only one checkbox but the system memorises separate settings for Battery and AC. So, if you go by the system settings screen (and not the Intel app) to change the settings, then you need to plug / unplug AC to be able to set / unset the checkbox for both scenarios according to your needs.

BR

No Events found!