Highlighted

XPS13 9370 Developer - boot an UEFI, GPT windows 10 usb key

Jump to solution

I have created a windows 10 usb key with rufus, with a GPT partition table, formatted with FAT32 and for an UEFI boot. When I press F12 the usb is not listed in the bootable device menu. When I press F2, to go to BIOS setup, the usb is not listed under "Boot sequence". When I press "Add boot option" I get an error message: "File system not found". I have tried with/o "UEFI" and "Secure boot". I don't know what to do next. Please don't tell me to install the OS using legacy mode, to be able to install a brand new XPS using UEFI should not be this difficult!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jphughan
Diamond

Re: XPS13 9370 Developer - boot an UEFI, GPT windows 10 usb

Jump to solution

You won't find USB devices in your BIOS boot order list since it's a UEFI system and UEFI booting works very differently, but it should definitely be in the one-time boot menu.  What tool did you use to create the Windows 10 install media?  You might find it easier to set up the USB stick as MBR instead.  You can still boot MBR devices in UEFI mode as long as you use a FAT32 partition and your partition has a UEFI bootloader file at the expected location, which Windows 10 install media would.  I boot MBR flash drives in UEFI mode all the time because I have my flash drives set up in a way that supports both Legacy BIOS and UEFI booting.

0 Kudos
ShedG
Bronze

Jump to solution

On my 9370 with 1.6.3 BIOS I can boot (UEFI) from the right side USB port. Can't boot from the left rear port. (Didn't try the left front port.)

I'm pretty sure that I could boot from the left ports with 1.5.1.

Didn't try MBR booting. My understanding is that it is necessary to boot UEFI in order to install UEFI. Most USB drives that can boot EFI can probably also boot MBR but then any subsequent installation would be MBR.

0 Kudos
jphughan
Diamond

Jump to solution

@ShedG wrote:

On my 9370 with 1.6.3 BIOS I can boot (UEFI) from the right side USB port. Can't boot from the left rear port. (Didn't try the left front port.)

I'm pretty sure that I could boot from the left ports with 1.5.1.

Didn't try MBR booting. My understanding is that it is necessary to boot UEFI in order to install UEFI. Most USB drives that can boot EFI can probably also boot MBR but then any subsequent installation would be MBR.

Yes you need to boot in UEFI to install in UEFI, but again it is possible to boot in UEFI mode from an MBR flash drive.  You can make sure you always boot in UEFI mode by enabling Secure Boot in your BIOS, which disables Legacy booting.  There's no such thing as "booting MBR".  MBR is a partition layout scheme, not a boot mechanism.  The two partition schemes are MBR and GPT.  The two boot mechanisms are Legacy BIOS and UEFI.  Legacy BIOS can only boot from MBR disks.  UEFI usually boots from GPT disks, but it can also boot from MBR disks.  That's how I'm able to have flash drives that support both Legacy and UEFI mode, even when Secure Boot is enabled in the latter case which means UEFI is the only available boot mechanism on the system.  If you boot OS installation media in UEFI mode, even if the flash drive is set up as MBR, the OS will still install itself in UEFI mode and set up the internal disk as GPT.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Just to clarify. After inserting the usb key on the right side instead of the left, the machine booted. Weird!

0 Kudos