Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

32 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 01:00

XPS17 9710 uneven heat distribution of CPU cores

Hi everyone,

I have the following problem - I tested my new XPS 9710 with different benchmarks and looked at the core temperature in parallel. I saw a very big temperature difference between the cores - cores 0, 2, 4, 6 are up to 30°C cooler than cores 1, 3, 5, 7 and therefore, the ladder cores are being throttled aggressively.

2.PNG

What could be the problem here?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2021 02:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @pep0sn 

It could have been improper distribution of the CPU thermal paste???

Improper torque of the heat sink???

If under warranty contact tech support.

Best regards,

U2

32 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 08:00

>It could have been improper distribution of the CPU thermal paste???

Pretty sure that this is not the case.

>Improper torque of the heat sink???
That's a possibility - I hope Dell can tell me a way to check this.

>If under warranty contact tech support.
Of course, it's a brand new product, launched last month. Tech support was already contacted, but not (yet) helpful.

I'm just trying to have someone else (with the same machine) doing a Cinebench 20/23 benchmark while having the HWinfo monitor open to confirm / disprove this.

5 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 11:00

Hey, sorry to bother you, but could you provide me an idiots guide for how you're obtaining this information (the mention of Cinebench and HWinfo are small hints).

I have the 9710 with 11980HK. (Though the main problem I've observed was with the trackpad)

32 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 14:00

Hi, of course - this is always handy for debugging / benchmarking the system.

- HWinfo is the tool that reads from the system sensors. Start it in "sensors only" mode (select after startup of the software) to obtain the sensors table. This is the best software to see thermal and power metrics for all system parts (download here https://www.hwinfo.com/download/)
- Cinebench is one of the most used CPU benchmark softwares out there - but you can also use XTU (intel) or any other benchmark software to put load on your CPU. Cinebench R20/23 (it doesn't matter which you use as long as you mention it, when posting your scores) can be obtained here (Microsoft store (free): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/cinebench/9pgzkjc81q7j#activetab=pivot:overviewtab)

5 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 14:00

Awesome, thank you for clarifying.  This AM I emailed my Dell ProSupport Level 3 tech to also inquire about those things to be certain there was nothing to be wary of in using them.

16 Posts

September 3rd, 2021 20:00

Take a look here:  https://youtu.be/81SVRpQN43A?t=1368 

Andrew shows decent reviews.  It starts around 22:48

1 Message

November 23rd, 2021 12:00

Did you get to the bottom of this by any chance?

32 Posts

November 23rd, 2021 13:00

Nope, problem wasn't fixed, not even by swapping the vapour chamber. But this seems to be normal (I saw the same uneven heat distribution on numerous YouTube benchmark videos). The die design seems to cause this. Doesn't feel ideal to me, but as long as it works, all is fine.

No Events found!