Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CS

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2019 20:00

random buzzing/static when playing music on XPS 13 9360

I have an XPS 13 9360 and experience random, short bursts of static and/or buzzing whenever I listen to music through headphones, regardless of the audio source.  I don't use the speakers often enough to say whether or not they have the same issue. I already updated the audio drivers from Dell's website and it didn't make a difference.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or know of a solution? This computer is out of warranty.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 25th, 2019 04:00

Have you tried another set of headphones or plugged external speakers into the jack? It sounds like the jack is causing a problem or the headphone cable or plug is shorting. Have you tried the headphones on another device?

March 4th, 2019 09:00

I ran some experiments with different headphones and I think I'm onto something: when I noticed the static earlier, my cell phone was always sitting right next to my laptop.  I tried listening to music from my laptop with my phone in the next room and only noticed the random static bursts once in an hour-long period of listening.  Previously I would typically notice several bursts of static during the same time period.  This seems to suggest the cell phone is a factor, although I would have expected zero static with the phone in a different room, so something else may be going on.

No Events found!