This post is more than 5 years old
Precision T3500 CPU Fan always on full speed
I have a Precision T3500 which, when turned on the CPU fan spins at full speed constantly creating a lot of noise. This has only happened recently, despite no changes to software, hardware or environment.
Things I have checked and tested:
- There are 2 fans, one for memory, one for CPU. It is only the CPU fan spinning too fast.
- I swapped the memory fan and the CPU fan but the same thing happened so it is not an issue with the actual fan.
- I checked temperatures and they are all in normal ranges
- I read about some cases having a switch on the side panel which is turned on when the case is opened. This case does not have that.
- The BIOS etc.. is all up to date with latest version available on Dell support pages
- I've tried downloading some software to control fan speed but no software is able to read the fan speeds or control them. I think this is just a limitation of this particular model.
Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Are there other things I can test for?