Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

14 Posts

November 5th, 2019 07:00

How to ADD 3 more SAS HD's to PE 2950

I have a Dell PE 2950 BIOS 2.7.0 on which I have created one Virtual group 0 containing 3 SAS disk, and loaded Windows server OS.

I have added 3 more additional hard disk ( for a total of 6 HD's) the idea is to create a second RAID 5 Virtual Disk with the 3 HD  but the server only sees ONE of my second group of 3 SAS hard drives. My only available option is to create a RAID 0 with one disk, I want to create RAID 5 with the 3 Hard Drives available but no luck so far.

Oh, almost forgot, TWO of the additional thee hard drives that I want to add, came from another server that was decommissioned so cheap hardware available, this may have something to do with my issue?

Am I missing something here?

2.9K Posts

November 5th, 2019 10:00

Are the drives Dell drives, or did they come from some other source? I ask because compatibility issues are a possibility. I would make sure that all the firmware in the server is brought up to date, including for the hard drives. If they continue to not work after that, there is a decent chance that they won't, but you could try exporting a PERC log from the controller to see what information you can gain regarding the drives.

14 Posts

November 6th, 2019 07:00

Hi,

I read your reply and made me think about the hard drives i WAS using, and I said was because since the server is an old 2950 and I have loads of old servers and hard drives laying around, I decided to change the hard drives all together to see if the drives were the culprits, anyway replacing the hard drives with different ones worked for me.

My server has now two virtual disk of about 272 GB one (0) for OS and second (1) for data on RAID 5. It will be used as print server and local storage.

I supposed that if you are using new hard drives or break the mirror on the old server (delete the virtual drive "before" removing the hard drives), chances are you may not see this issue?

Just in case someone else runs into this issue, that is how I overcame the problem.

Thanks.

No Events found!