Announcement Banner
UNSOLVED

jonathius2

updated

18 years ago

Closed

0

5442

July 8th, 2008 15:00

Wait 4 Backordered Vid. Card Or Replace System?

Hi guys,

 

I need your advice badly.  I've been waiting on a backordered part for about a month now ... the part being the video card (I think it's the GeForce Go 7900 (or 7950? GTX).  They've given me 2 shipping estimates on the card and it's missed it so far both times.  The new estimated date is July 16th.  This is to fix the frustratingly annoying NMI: Memory/Parity Error blue screen message I've been plauged with since late last year.  So far, they've replaced the memory and motherboard but no luck.  It hasn't helped.  They've given me the option of swapping my current system for a refurbished one that's equal to mine (the M1710) or better.  So I'm not sure what to do.  Obviously, I'd rather keep what I have and get the video card replaced but it's missed the last 2 delivery estimates so I'm not too confident it will make this next one either.  I was going to go ahead and replace it since it missed this last estimate but the tech. told me it would take up to 1-2 weeks to get the other system too.  I certainly don't mind waiting one more week if I actually get the card but if it doesn't come next week either, then I feel I could lose time by starting the system swap process now.  I'm somewhat confused as to what you do, as you can tell lol.  Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

 

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

  • 274

    0

    Posted July 8th, 2008 15:00

    jonathius2, I feel your pain!  It sounds like Dell is waiting on the video card from the manufacturer.  I don't know if it would be worth trying to find out an actual shipping date from the manufacturer of the card.  I had to wait several weeks for my system when i ordered it because of Nvidia having a supply problem back in the day for the 7950 GX2's.  I guess it all depends on how badly you want to avoid rebuilding your operating system.

     

    Maybe one of the many forum moderators can get involved and get you an acurate shipping date?

     

    WW 

    Message Edited by WhiteWizard62 on 07-08-2008 11:55 AM
    Message Edited by WhiteWizard62 on 07-08-2008 11:55 AM
  • 274

    0

    Posted July 8th, 2008 16:00

    You mean avoiding rebuilding my operating system as in moving the stuff on my laptop from one to another?  That would be great if a moderator could get involved.
  • ejn63

    11 Legend

    •

    87468 Posts

    •

    321253 Points

    274

    0

    Posted July 8th, 2008 17:00

    If you opt for a new system, you will have to move your data and reload your applications.

     

  • 274

    0

    Posted July 8th, 2008 19:00

    I know that but thanks for the reply : ).