Unsolved

U

2 Posts

May 17th, 2019 21:00

Alpha R2, slow WiFi, multiple M.2 cards tried

I have tried 3 different cards:

Intel Wireless-AC 8260
Intel Wireless-AC 9260
Killer WiFi 6 AX1650 (Newest Card on the market supporting 802.11AX WiFi 6 160MHz)

on 2 different routers:

Asus GT-5300 Tri Band (80MHz)
R7800 — Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Dual Band (160MHz)

I cannot achieve a connection speed greater than 144.4mbps from any of the cards. Is there a config file I need to load for region? Anyone else have any of these cards without issue? Thanks

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

May 18th, 2019 09:00

connection speed means WHAT,  you SUB LAN only or the internet or both or  just what? not stated. w10 sure.

the endless slow wifi post, you and every one else, same. (traffic matters) wifi can get overloaded easy.

I take it you are home and your router is at least dual band? (yes) even 3 bands. in list.

2.4band is slowest and worse for traffic due to longer range (you with 5 kids and neighbors same  on channel 1>? ever us Inssider.exe,  seems now is the time, no? you on wrong band or the band is toasted, and channel.

5.0 band is short ranges, and hates walls but can be faster if you move to the room your router is in. ok>?

my internet speed (wired) is 200Mbps (mega bits not bytes B) so I will will never over that on my prime grade wifi AP point (high power 1000mw) not ever.  (the bottle neck is your gateway?)

so have no idea at all what internet connections you have of the 5 class type, fiber to dialup or bad DSL.

nor if the test are just on the subLAN, gee  IDK , I do not know what you are doing at all, Just a box of cards)

WIFI is very complex on speeds, and traffic, (even the router can have 2 processors and man threads and even concurrent 2 band usage 2.4/5)  and both the card needs to match the routers, modes for max speed.

there is no flat simple answer ever. ok?

see this same topic here. 

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/809400-2-4ghz-802-11-b-g-n-speed

distance 1st

band, 2.4 fastest

40mb wide band mode might help.

get off channel 1. if inssider shows  huge and worse strong traffic.

you do know that wifi is shared resource, you can not say own channel 1, unless in home setup as faraday shield on the outside parameter, only right?

learn wifi works or best of all its weaknesses and wired is LOVE< pure love., no down time for wired.

wifi is RADIO and if say a baby monitor jams WIFI then wifi files or goes slow or is intermittent, oK
SEE INSSIDER PHOTO HERE;

In the city, expect (unstated and traffic matters) the left side  will be full of nasty traffic and if in a high-rise worse.

http://www.pcdied.com/DevMan/internet.html\

that is my post next time connect one set up,  router and card and we can work 1 at  time ,all at a time well that is information overload.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

May 18th, 2019 09:00

did you run real tests, or just let w10 lie to you. connections speeds.? is this w10 or VISTA?

we do real tests, (ask)

you  can even download (vast) utilities, to run local speed tests,  (PC to  PC ) on your SUBLAN.

ive setup fiber systems on huge compasses and did this out of the bag.

We test that first then  out onto the gateway to the ISP internet, some businesses even run 2 ISP to 1 dual ported CISCO router ,and load balanced ! im typing on one now)

my guess is you never ran one real test, (using test apps) right? IDK as all I can do in a text box is guess or ask 20 questions.

one of the best web pages on WIFI is this, he really nails the limits to wifi.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-kind-of-**bleep**/

study collision domains. and bingo

and will get worse as the internet of things explodes. 

the only purpose at home for wifi is,  not liking wires or not owning your home or like I dead use all land line jacks in every room I used the old wire to pull in cat6 and new jack.

all my wifi camera's constantly failing 1 per day pain so I now have them on the ETHERNET.

1 year later not one failure. (2 huge ethernet switches in the attic)

2 TVs never show "buffering " ever.

YMMV I you live I the country side, wifi can work, for sure. and well set up right.

or remove siding on house ,warp house in tinfoil and ground it, put siding back on, bingo a faraday cage.

this kills 3/4/5G dead inside home so... 2nd thoughts?

or upgrade to 1000mw power grade router and drown out the hood .

good luck to you !!!

May 19th, 2019 22:00

As stated "I cannot achieve a connection speed greater than 144.4mbps from any of the cards". Connection, not internet speed. I have 1Gbps business class internet service, even my iPhone Xs Max can speed test out 622mbps on both routers.

The WiFi AP/Router is not the issue, the internet is not the issue, and the network is also not the issue.  I have many computers in my home, connected at 867mbps / 1.3gbps wirelessly, achieving 6 - 80 ms pings @ 400 - 700mbps depending on distance from test server. The issue is THIS Alpha R2 computer, with these M.2 WiFi cards.

Windows 10 Pro - Windows is not lying, the maximum connection speed achieved between the AP/Router and the network card (s) is 144.4mbps, resetting network settings has no effect. I have attempted several variations of drivers, to no avail. On May 14th, 2019 Dell added the Killer 1650x WiFi 6 Drivers to the Alienware Alpha R2 support page. Those were identical to the OEM drivers from Killer, and did not solve the connection issue.

I am wondering if the M.2 port is under powered, causing these cards to function at a power saving performance. And if Dell has a fix for it.

As for power settings in windows 10, it is set to Maximum Performance with PCIE and USB power options off. In bios, power saving options are disabled. 

No Events found!