Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

4 Posts

June 28th, 2020 09:00

AW3420DW stand light always red when in power save or off.

Hi everybody. I have an Alienware AW3420DW monitor with not many hours on it. The LED oval on the back of the stand used to go out when the monitor went into power saving mode, or when the monitor was turned off, or when using the menu to select black as the color or "off" for that LED. Last night it started to fail to go out in any condition except when the monitor is unplugged from power. Instead of being off in those conditions, it is dim red. The color is otherwise normal during operation and responds to color changes made in the menu - it just cannot be turned off or black. I have reset everything to defaults. The other lights and display panel itself work normally. I do not use the AWCC software at all, just the monitor's controls, which is not a factor anyway because the behavior is the same even when disconnected from a signal. I was wondering of the red light is an indication there is some problem but I find no references to this at all.

Thanks for any information.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 28th, 2020 09:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 28th, 2020 11:00

Oh, maybe one more thing.  The connections for those lights are in the stand where the monitor connects and makes contact when hung.  Maybe you could reseat the monitor to see if there might be a problem there..

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I just got mine 2 days ago and this is the first time I have adjusted the light color..  But I assume if I let the monitor sit until it goes into power saving is when the problem occurs?

How long does it normally take to go into Power Saving mode?  Is that also a variable that can be set?

What type of system are you running the monitor on?  I know you said it happened even when disconnected but it might have an effect..

4 Posts

Hi,

Power saving mode takes place about a minute after there's no signal input. I do not believe that delay is adjustable, but you can disable power saving. I tried that, didn't matter. I usually turn it off when I'm done anyway and even that doesn't turn off the oval LED. Used to. Weird.

The system is an old home-built, based on an i7-7700 with a 240mm Corsair AIO, Asus Maximus IX Hero MB with a pair of 1TB Samsung 960 NVMe drives and a couple of other SATA storage drives, 2 sticks of 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 and an EVGA FTW3 RTX2080Ti (overkill for that CPU, I know, but it was all that I could find in stock at the time). It's no longer close to a high-end modern system, but it will drive the monitor at good-to-max (120Hz) frame rate in the games I play with G-Sync enabled. I usually keep my GPU updated and get several useful years out of the CPU/MB/Memory.

I did re-seat the stand into its socket. I checked everything possible. Like I said, even disconnected from everything but power, it's showing a dim red oval. It could be a flag that there is a problem in a microprocessor or some-such. Dell is already looking into it, but I appreciate the feedback!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 28th, 2020 12:00

Mine turned off with the monitor.  My system is still on so I assume the Power Saving is based on no usage.. When in Power Saving, the on/off button pulses.. 

Again, it is brand new and I am not sure which drivers have been installed.  As far as I know, I am not running one of the command apps that can be downloaded..

My system is a little newer, but as you said, it should work when not attached to the computer..  But, if I was going to reset it, I would want the computer connected or even reset it through the computer if there is an app or utility to do that..  Perhaps there is a situation where the devices can get out of sync and give strange results..

I will be watching it and let you know if anything changes..

4 Posts

June 28th, 2020 12:00

And I will post anything I find out, but I suspect I will never know because I betcha Dell swaps it out for me, which is fine. I believe the processor that controls the lighting is having a problem or there is some other problem and the red oval is an indicator of such. So far, I have detected nothing weird with the panel/display. I don't use that computer very often these days but I am leaving it plugged in, with the red oval on, to see if it changes on its own. You know how electronics can just decide to freak out and then not!

It really is a good monitor for gaming and lots of other tasks. Hopefully it's some oddity that Dell knows about. Maybe a firmware update would fix it but there's nothing like firmware to download that I saw.

See ya!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 28th, 2020 13:00

I suppose the last thing might be, because it is electronics, try removing power from the monitor overnight.  Both the signal cable and power cable, just to make sure.

I don't suppose the input I was using would make a difference but I am using HDMI until my video card comes in Tuesday..

4 Posts

July 1st, 2020 16:00

Hi again,

I let the monitor sit for a couple of days, power off but plugged in, with the red oval stand light on. After those couple of days, and without me touching it, one night the light went off. I then power-cycled the monitor to see what would happen. The light went off and stayed off, just like it is supposed to. I also unplugged/plugged in the power and it worked like it should.

So, without booting the computer, I left the monitor in the off state, same as before, for another 2 days. Today the light was still off. I booted the computer just now, and the monitor responds to the stand light control as designed: it will turn off, it will allow "black" as the color, as if nothing had ever happened.

I will now leave the system on and see what happens when the computer goes to sleep with monitor on.

If there are any further odd behaviors, I will post.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 1st, 2020 17:00

Glad to hear it is working again.  I think, because of your experience, I will not be using the Black Light option..

No Events found!