Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

6 Posts

June 23rd, 2022 07:00

AW3423DW, please let us update firmware

It has become evident that the firmware for the AW3423DW has been revised at least once or twice (from M0B101 to M0B102 and possibly M0B103) since release. This is an expensive, enthusiast grade monitor and we'd like to have the option for the latest firmware on them. Instead, early adopters are stuck with what they receive – bugs and all. You appear to have the capacity to provide this based on existing support guides. Why isn't this available for the AW3423DW? Please advise. Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 28th, 2022 08:00

How strange this may sound:  

The only way to get an AW3423DW with newer firmware is via a used/refurbished exchange. But, you have to prove to Dell Technical Support agents via troubleshooting (pictures, video, etc.) that your current AW3423DW has a fault before a used/refurbished exchange will be approved.

4 Posts

June 28th, 2022 15:00

When I contacted support on May 31st about this issue, this is what they said:

As we discuss over the phone we found that there is a firmware issue with the new monitors and we are working on it.

Please allow us some time for the technical team to develop the update and this should fix the pop up issue.

However, I've yet to hear anything else.

6 Posts

June 28th, 2022 17:00

alienware firmware standby.jpg

It is becoming evident that Dell/Alienware are aware of the various firmware issues (shutting down after regular pixel refreshes, bugged pixel refresh reminders, settings randomly resetting, etc.) and are fixing them for new stock, but they're unwilling to make those fixes available for existing owners.

I find it hard to believe that it is physically impossible to allow firmware updates, considering other Dell monitors provide this option. It'd be nice to receive some clarity on what complexities are stopping it, and what recourse there is for early adopters. 

6 Posts

June 28th, 2022 17:00

Hmm, that's somewhat promising. It's unclear if they'll be offering that update to existing owners or if we'll need to RMA, though. It could also just be a canned response.

June 28th, 2022 23:00

Please allow us to update our monitors with the latest firmware. It’s 2022 not 1982. This is ridiculous. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 29th, 2022 06:00

This is the recourse currently available:

The Alienware monitors team has already stated that due to the complexities of firmware updates for this OLED model, Dell does not plan on offering any firmware updates. The only way to get an AW3423DW with newer firmware is via a used/refurbished exchange. But, you have to prove to Dell Technical Support agents via troubleshooting (pictures, video, etc.) that your current AW3423DW has a fault before a used/refurbished exchange will be approved.

1 Message

June 29th, 2022 08:00

This is absolutely beyond insane that ANY product would be released without even the potential to have its firmware updated by the consumer, and it's even more ridiculous to have an enthusiast monitor with brand new technology in it with no way to update the firmware. Something has to be done to enable firmware updates, unless Dell would prefer to have to swap out monitors for the thousands of people that are going to want their firmware updated.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 29th, 2022 09:00

Please read the official post in this thread regarding this subject. It explains the process on how to get newer firmware.

8 Posts

It would be prudent to talk to the engineering team to get changelogs of the firmware that is in use by the manufacturing teams, their numeric designation, and what problems they fix.

For such a high profile enthusiast display that has gotten a lot of tech journalist visibility, you may want to work with them to get the correct information out there with reasonable justification for this lack of basic functionality (firmware updates). Linus Sebastian just recently had a massive response from his smart switch maker, who locked firmware out of users easy access. To follow up such a great initial review launch and only to not offer better information is bound to go poorly.

Give us all a good reason for not looking into other avenues.

8 Posts

This is terrible customer service. 

This entire phrase "due to the complexities of firmware updates for this OLED model, Dell does not plan on offering any firmware updates" is utter and complete anti-consumer horse apples. Explain WHY it is more complex than other monitors that offer firmware updates, otherwise this comes off as an oversight rather than anything "special" or "complex."

June 29th, 2022 13:00

No one wants to have to go through that just update a firmware. Surely there must be a way of letting consumers update themselves. It’s 2022 for crying out loud. If not they should send an engineer to our house to update the firmware. It’s beyond a joke. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

June 29th, 2022 14:00

Don't shoot the messenger...

Also, like I have mentioned before, it is possible besides a firmware update changes were made to the hardware of the monitor. That could be a possible reason why a firmware update might not be possible.

Sometimes different revisions of hardware are made and firmware cannot be simply updated to get the new features or fixes.

So your best bet as it currently stands, is what is quoted in the article at the beginning of this thread: exchange if it's deemed faulty for new or refurbished item.

189 Posts

June 29th, 2022 16:00

Seems to me, if the product cannot be updated to sort out a critical bug or flaw, then the product should be recalled and replaced with a "properly working" one.

by Dell removed. Read the Forum Code of Conduct. DELL-Admin>

1 Rookie

• 

436 Posts

June 29th, 2022 16:00

If they made hardware changes, then the "new" model should be able to get firmware updates.  They shouldn't be selling the model that can't take a firmware.  

If it's defective and the only fix was a hardware update, then they need to do a voluntary recall and replace the ones they have sold.  If it's not a hardware defect, then there isn't any logical reason that a firmware update can't be provided.

1 Message

June 29th, 2022 21:00

Congratulations! I'm going to return my monitor with the first buggy firmware that won't turn back on after a pixel refresh! Why any of your engineers thought preventing users from upgrading the firmware on a monitor that costs this much is beyond me but boy was that a really goofy decision to make. I'm supposed to just deal with a monitor that doesn't function properly because I bought it too soon? Is that seriously the message you guys want to send here? I bet the new Samsung and MSI monitors with the same panel will have user-updatable firmware and all these weak excuses are going to look real silly then. This is how great products get ruined by a few poor decisions.

No Events found!