Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

July 10th, 2020 03:00

Aurora, liquid cooling leaking

Has anyone ever experiences leaking with Aurora liquid cooler? Does it need regular maintenance? 

3 Posts

July 10th, 2020 09:00

Many thanks for your reply.

Do you know if Dell would cover the cost of the damage if the leaks damage the PC? (if the PC is under warranty)

Best 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 10th, 2020 09:00

@Saamkvn  Has anyone ever experiences leaking with Alienware liquid cooler?  Does it need regular Maintenence?

The AIO liquid cooler that comes with the Aurora product is a good quality and very reliable. There is no maintenance needed, as there are no serviceable parts. You could change the radiator fan, or re-apply the thermal paste, if necessary. Otherwise, if the unit leaks/breaks, you would replace the entire system for $80.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 10th, 2020 10:00

@GTS81    The title scared me for a moment. So it's just hypothetical. 

same . . . I read the title and felt a little sick in my stomach  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@Saamkvn   Do you know if Dell would cover the cost of the damage if the leaks damage the PC? (if the PC is under warranty)

I would never try to predict what Dell would do. However, it is possible Asetek, manufacture of the system, may be more helpful.  @GTS81  posted a video somewhere with a 'verbal warranty'.

You can also search YouTube for reviews. Leaks and breakdowns are extremely rare, but admittedly, not 'zero'.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

In 10 years, I've only heard of that happening once-or-twice.

Yes, they would likely cover it (why do you expect they would not)?

If installed properly (and not messed with) the Asetek OEM Liquid-Cooler should work for the life of the machine.

My Alienware Aurora-R1 (circa 2010) still has it's original one and still works fine (and it's been pushed hard over the years).

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

@Saamkvn @Anonymous :

The title scared me for a moment. So it's just hypothetical. Take @Tesla1856 's advise. Dell warranty. Maybe do the extended too and get it in writing that it covers all damages if leak happens.

3 Posts

July 10th, 2020 11:00

Thanks for your reply.

Many I ask whether you use liquid cooling for rendering/ gaming or machine learning?

And can do you keep you PC on overnight for many days in a row? As this is what I want to do and I feel if I do I might damage the cooler.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 10th, 2020 12:00

If you buy this Asetek pump at retail it comes with a 5 year warranty, so I'd expect at least that from the Dell AIO (which uses the Asetek pump).  

The pump operates at a single fixed speed so I wouldn't expect a large increase in wear based on type of usage. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 10th, 2020 12:00

"Otherwise, if the unit leaks/breaks, you would replace the entire system for $80."

AIO part # from Dell, for the Aurora R5-11 ( think it's the same for all these generations), is MH0HN, $109 last I checked, but that was a year ago. 

But yeah, you could replace it with an H60 or H75. 

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

April 4th, 2021 04:00

you said your original one has lasted for 10+ years?  Did you need to do any maintenance on it like thermal paste or new radiator fans in that time?  Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

569 Posts

April 4th, 2021 04:00

My R3 since 2011 hasn't needing any maintenance or any replacement fans. I probably need to replace the thermal paste, maybe next time I am at my Nephew's place as he is borrowing it

No Events found!