Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2018 03:00

Alienware x51 wifi question

Hello I have an alienware x51 with dell wireless 1502 802.11 b/g/n which I was thinking of changing to a SATA III Mini PCI-e 2.0 Card. My question is if it will be possible to do so or is the slot only for wifi card? I tried searching for info on the matter however this is nowhere stated. Thanks in advance

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 24th, 2018 12:00

@Caskawrote:

I presume I have rev 1 motherboard since it does not have SATA 3 on it. My goal is to get SATA 3 without changing the motherboard but by the looks of it will not be possible.

Yeah some guys tried that back-in-the-day and it didn't work.

You can install a 2.5inch SATA-3/600 SSD in that machine and it will run at SATA-2/300 speed. Still ends-up being about 2-3 times faster than a spinning-hdd (you will be able to tell a difference). You can get a 128-256gb Samsung or Kingston SSD for cheap.

Take it with you when you are done with that machine. It's about that time my friend. I suggest at least a mini-tower with a real power-supply, full-sized video-card, etc. ... next time. Surely, you can make the space for it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 23rd, 2018 13:00

You will have to search old area, but I thought someone tried it and it didn't work.

What Release is your x51?

What are you trying to accomplish? Does your x51 not have on-board SATA-3/600 ?

4 Posts

March 24th, 2018 03:00

I presume I have rev 1 motherboard since it does not have SATA 3 on it. My goal is to get SATA 3 without changing the motherboard but by the looks of it will not be possible.

4 Posts

March 24th, 2018 20:00

Yeah already did that. That was the last part have 2 ssd drives, 1060 video i7 processor and 8gbs of ram and got it second hand extremely cheap about 5 years ago. Recently I changed the video from 760 to 1060 since the 760 ran its course and while changing it realized that my ssd hard drives are in sata 2 not 3 which was limiting the speeds for them. Waaay under performing and thought I would check a way to get sata 3. Thank you very much for the info much appreciated. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 24th, 2018 21:00

@Caskawrote:

Yeah already did that. That was the last part have 2 ssd drives, 1060 video i7 processor and 8gbs of ram and got it second hand extremely cheap about 5 years ago. Recently I changed the video from 760 to 1060 since the 760 ran its course and while changing it realized that my ssd hard drives are in sata 2 not 3 which was limiting the speeds for them. Waaay under performing and thought I would check a way to get sata 3. Thank you very much for the info much appreciated. 

I guess you got your money's worth on the old x51. 

If it's cheap or returnable ... you could try it anyway? You have your own set of hurdles here, but it general ... it's always tricking getting anything other than the normally-used on-board controller to boot.

No Events found!