Area 51 Confirmed EOL

Dell Alienware confirmed via twitter today that the Area 51 is EOL:

area 51.png

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 1st, 2020 19:00

https://twitter.com/search?q=area%2051%20desktop&src=typed_query&f=live

I wonder what the possibility is that they just plan on creating a new Legend lineup comparable to the Area 51 or they are just dropping HEDT altogether. 

2.2K Posts

May 1st, 2020 20:00

Wouldn't we wise to abandon HEDT altogether. Isn’t Threadripper really great to build an entire HEDT product line on?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 1st, 2020 22:00

It might be retired, but this doesn't even make sense:

Hi Paul, the Area 51 desktop has been replaced by the Area-51m laptop. Please let us know if you have any other questions!

And yes, I think I am entitled to say that because  ... I beta-tested and evaluated the Area-51m laptop before it was released.

Maybe it is just a shared account and the "backup team" is posting today ?   

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

May 1st, 2020 23:00

Is the triad 1.0 vs 2.0 case worth buying for custom pc build in 2020?  Is this case the only Dell OEM model that takes full ATX motherboard, is fully upgradable, and allows 3x SLI and multiple liquid cooled gpu?

its cable management is concerning.  what else is good or bad about this case for non HEDT build?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 1st, 2020 23:00

Well I mean yea componentwise with z370 perhaps it would be more appropriately named the Aurora R9m.  But I guess 51m has a better ring to it for Alienware's flagship gaming laptop.  I also don't see that anyone set on buying a prebuilt hedt will find, other than the title, that the 51m is a suitable replacement.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2020 18:00

Is the triad 1.0 vs 2.0 case worth buying for custom pc build in 2020?

===============

No, neither.

If you are building a custom-PC, purchase a nice after-market case also.

2.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2020 19:00

Coming back to this thread after the drama with my orange build.

So @Tesla1856 , if I read your post correctly, they are replacing their badass desktop with a laptop? You know what would be cool? That they sell us an Area 51 Desktop that outguns the top gaming desktops out there only for us to open it up and see a laptop inside. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2020 19:00

@redxps630  Is the triad 1.0 vs 2.0 case worth buying for custom pc build in 2020?

For the average gamer/builder I would agree with @Tesla1856  that a new, modern case would be the preferable path. However, for enthusiasts like yourself, Cass-Ole, and some others, the triad case is a classic that needs to be honored and preserved. I have never owned an Alienware computer, and even I have considered doing a triad build, just for fun. The Area 51 was ahead of it's time with regard to the liquid cooling potential, but with the newer generations of processors coming out, 120mm radiator is just not going to cut it anymore. It would need to be a nostalgic build.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2020 22:00

@Anonymous wrote:

@redxps630  Is the triad 1.0 vs 2.0 case worth buying for custom pc build in 2020?

For the average gamer/builder I would agree with Tesla1856 that a new, modern case would be the preferable path. However, for enthusiasts like yourself, Cass-Ole, and some others, the triad case is a classic that needs to be honored and preserved. I have never owned an Alienware computer, and even I have considered doing a triad build, just for fun. The Area 51 was ahead of it's time with regard to the liquid cooling potential, but with the newer generations of processors coming out, 120mm radiator is just not going to cut it anymore. It would need to be a nostalgic build.

Someone on ebay was selling complete fully functional Area 51 R5 systems for $740 (local pickup) a couple weeks back.  He sold four of them, they went pretty fast.  I was half tempted to pick one up.

I like the look of the Area 51 ALX.  I wouldn't call the Triad case a classic at this point, I mean it was just pulled from the retail website within the last few months.  If I wanted to do a restoration project with new internals old case, I'd probably go the ALX route.  I don't really see a wow factor in the triad case.  In any event, I think a custom build would probably be preferable for me.  

But I mean at the end of the day, only you know what you want.  You gotta do what makes you feel good.  You're the one whose going to be using the PC

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

May 3rd, 2020 13:00

Thanks for all the helpful opinions. I remember seeing an R5 in store a long while back and my impression was not instant awe or admiration but mild frown over this large pentagon shaped pc, it certainly has a bad ass attitude.  I never really appreciated the slanted components alignment to be revolutionary or aesthetic.  It is not a showstopper to me. After having worked out a non ALX case A51 R1 restore project to my personal preference (no AIO no rad), I am just getting curious of hands on experience in the triad case.  The HEDT x99 or x299 do not particularly appeal to me very much as my interest is all in case design and pc building process (any decent good looking components would do).  I would not mind putting my old 630i full ATX board in it just to be able to use AWCC for the LEDs and fans.

May 3rd, 2020 18:00

I was told this 6 months ago from 2 seperate Dell reps. That the 51m is the new Area-51 going forward and the desktop was being discontinued. I was also told there would be a new line of desktops coming but they would no longer be Area-51. I would not be surprised if Dell has decided to simply scrap that and just stick with what they have.

I grabbed one of the last R5's available in the country in December and other than the noise level, I love it. It plays everything I want to throw at it maxed out. My CPU with the stock AIO has never reached 60c under load. I should be able to get 4 high level years out of this thing regardless of what I ask it to do. I love the case and plan on having dual liquid cooled cards in it at some point because..well, because it has the room and doesn't make sense to have this thing and not have 2 cards. 

No Events found!