Start a Conversation

Unsolved

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 16th, 2021 15:00

Aurora R10 Project Start

Finally kicked off my Aurora R10 upgrade project with the first piece: A nice Noctua CPU cooler.

Moving away from liquid cooling. In the end I will only be using the CPU and GPU from the R10, the remainder will go on the shelf, next to the elf. I might use the Nvme as secondary storage.

Noctua.jpg

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 16th, 2021 20:00

The rest of the items are ordered. Going to be great building my own rig again.

1 Rookie

• 

676 Posts

November 17th, 2021 03:00

Looking forward to your progress.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 19th, 2021 12:00

Today the second piece of the puzzle arrived. A Lian Li Lancool II Mesh case.

Full viewing windows Left and right, doors on hinges with magnetic locks, Left and right panels for access to the power supply compartment, full support for 2 bottom fan 120 mm air intakes to blow fresh air onto the CPU, 1 bottom panel is meshed also, similar to the one in the picture but meshed for air intake for the GPU cooling fans, 2 x 140 mm front intake 120 mm back exhaust, full support for radiators or more fans, full rear cable management system trays, etc...

Looks like it will be a pleasure working with this case. The picture does not do it justice.

Manufacturers web site 

Cool mesh.jpg

7 Posts

November 20th, 2021 05:00

Nice!  I also moved from GPU and CPU from my R10 into a Lancool II Mesh performance case.  It was my first time building a PC from scratch and I was nervous about it but it turned out great.  Cable management was a breeze!

I decided to use a Arctic liquid freezer II 240 AIO up top instead.  My ryzen 3700x maxes at 62c at load.  I"m sure noctua cooler will do great!

Enjoy!

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 20th, 2021 10:00

I have used AIO for the past +10 years, but I decided to go with air cooling because I am not planning on overclocking this setup.

If I ever upgrade the CPU I can always put a 240 AIO Galahad in there. I almost put that in there, but I am not a big fan of RGB fans.

7 Posts

November 21st, 2021 06:00

Yeah the noctua cooler should be plenty fine.  I plan to upgrade my CPU to a 5800x/5900x in the near future and I know they run hot so that's why I went with an AIO.

Personally I"m not a big on RGB fans either and it also means extra cables.  What I like about the liquid freezer II is that it only has a single cable to connect (to CPU fan header).

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 22nd, 2021 13:00

The remainder of the parts arrived today. After I dug myself out of the snow, the building can commence.

I am thinking I will use a 2 step approach.

First build everything up in the new case, move CPU, ram and GPU at a later time.

November 22nd, 2021 14:00

Looks awesome! I am also in the process of moving my Aurora R12 components into a Fractal Meshify 2 Compact. Trying to reuse as much as I can, but we will see how it goes. The Alienware AIO may not work but I have a backup Corsair i60 just in case.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 22nd, 2021 18:00

Well, if all goes well tomorrow is CPU and GPU time, with a bit of memory thrown into the mix.

After that, hopefully no smoke!

November 22nd, 2021 22:00

@Vanadiel Good luck!  Very interested to see how this goes.  I'm following.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 23rd, 2021 19:00

Everything working smooth as silk, no issues with anything.

Will post some pictures tomorrow or so.

All I can say is my benchmark scores went noticeably up. Since I am using the same GPU, CPU and memory as I pulled those components from the R10, I have to conclude the only item that can make a difference is the motherboard.

I am talking here about 5-10 % increase in Firestrike scores and my CPU temperatures went down to 65 C under Cinebench on air cooling. They used to be 75C in the R10 and that was on liquid cooling.

And I have not even enabled resizable bar or PBO settings. This is at stock settings.

I have run many different benchmarks on my R10 with saved results, like hundreds. So I know the difference is real and not "new stuff" placebo. 

Made it to the top 3% scores in firestrike.

I was not expecting this difference and was expecting a slight reduction in temperatures and maybe a small increase in performance because the average temperature will be lower.

This is beyond expectations. I am excited to run more benchmarks tomorrow.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

November 24th, 2021 05:00

I went for the Asus ROG Strix B550-F gaming wifi 6 motherboard and coupled it with a Seasonic Focus GX 1000 Watt PSU and a Corsair MP600 1 TB Gen 4 M2 SSD.

7 Posts

November 24th, 2021 05:00

@VanadielCongrats!  What motherboard did you choose?

7 Posts

November 24th, 2021 10:00

Wow you went all out .. sweet parts!

I went with lesser parts lol:

Asus TUF Gaming B550 plus wifi, Super Flower 850 Watt Gold PSU, and 1 TB WD SN750.

Other than upgrading to a ryzen 5000 series CPU, I don't plan to make any other upgrades until my next build when DDR5 matures.

November 24th, 2021 10:00

Those results are great! I am hoping to see something similar with a decent board (Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Elite). Did you do a clean install of Windows or just transfer the boot drive over from the Alienware?

No Events found!