Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

May 10th, 2020 23:00

Aurora R10, RAM upgrade, #6

I ordered an Alienware R10 and got the standard 8GB 2666MHz of RAM because it was stated I could upgrade and I thought I would upgrade it later. Well, I am ready to upgrade it and after doing some research I found out something about the RAM that is in the R10 runs at 1.2v and apparently can only support 1.2v. I looked at the manual for compatible upgrades and it tells me but one of the upgrades it shows is at 1.35v. This is the RAM I was planning on getting =

HyperX Fury 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM (Kit of 2) 1Rx8 Black XMP Desktop Memory HX432C16FB3K2/16

I planned on getting 16GB at 3200Mhz but that is 1.35v even though this RAM is said to be compatible with the R10 in the manual. Basically, can I get this RAM? Would it work and maybe the R10 would automatically make the RAM run at a lower voltage? If not, what RAM can I use that will work for what I need?

Forum search results = Aurora R10, RAM upgrade. DELL-Admin

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

May 11th, 2020 05:00

That RAM will work. 1.2v is just the JEDEC standard for DDR4 voltage while 1.35 is overclocked XMP profile. This spec page from Crucial should help.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

May 11th, 2020 10:00

Where do you see “this RAM is said to be compatible with the R10 in the manual.“

If it is in the R10 manual, that is only for the Dell validated HyperX ram that Dell sells at premium price. Getting them from amazon has no guarantee it will work at XMP profile.  More likely Dell bios will run those non Dell validated ram at 1.2V and lower speed.

Dell spec Hyper X is not interchangeable with other vendor’s Hyper X even if listed at same speed. there are detailed memory settings including latency and voltage etc.  that are variable.  Dell does not publish their HyperX XMP profile.

No Events found!