Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2020 15:00

Aurora R10 Ryzen, VR ready, upgradeable?

I would like to get an Alienware Aurora R10 Ryzen gaming desktop but first I have a few questions:

1. Does it have everything I need (excluding monitor) and if not what do I need to buy?
  2. Is everything in it upgradable?
  3. Is it VR ready?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@goat pickle 

What to get Mr. Pickle;

AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X (16-Core, 64MB L3 Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.7GHz)

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

64GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

. . . that should do it.

oh . . . and a keyboard, a mouse and two monitors 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

1. No mouse, no keyboard.
  2. No.
  3. Depends on your configuration.

July 20th, 2020 16:00

@GTS81  Do you know a good configuration for using by on it 

thanks

ok

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

I guess what @Anonymous recommends? I'm not sure about AMD systems.

Ok thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 20th, 2020 19:00

@GTS81   I'm not sure about AMD systems.

I am just figuring if you are in the market for a high-end gaming computer, you should fill it with high-end components. Low-end components with     on the outside of the case will not make it a high-end gaming computer.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 20th, 2020 23:00

Personally I took the freebie peripherals because it's nice to have cheap alternatives for guests/children to use without worrying about what might break. 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

Uh... guess I may have forgotten to mention this in my "Experience of Buying an Aurora R8".

I clicked to get the free keyboard and mouse, double checked again at the checkout step that it was selected, and then upon paying Dell the $$$ (through their financing company), poof! No free keyboard and mouse for me.

I actually called order support and was told that I did not select the option. They can help me by either putting in those items and charging me for it or cancelling my order which of course I won't get at rock bottom sale price again (remember, Dell "deals" are a moving target, they fluctuate from day to day sometimes. It helps to record your screen as you click on various radio buttons because sometimes you see a great price fly by and then it doesn't happen again).

So what did I do? I just used a temporary keyboard and mouse until my 6% cashback kicked in, and then price matched the K800 keyboard with Dell to claim part of the reward for a... "free keyboard". Tada!

BTW, read up on Dell's price match policy. It's pretty... interesting.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

I guess I got "lucky" scoring the branded keyboard and mouse.  The mouse actually doesn't work anymore but that's a separate issue.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

On #1, I guess that same reasoning is why nobody likes the free mouse and keyboard that comes with the pc if you check the box saying you want it during the configuration process?

July 21st, 2020 18:00

I’m going to get pretty good stuff not Mac and probably upgrade later

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 14:00

Hi,

I was in a similar situation but my examples will be VR related to Oculus and nVidia examples.

I have an Oculus Quest, and I would like to run "Oculus Link" to the "VR Ready" PC and in future, be compatible with "Virtual Link". My research narrowed me to the scenario that in any configuration that you choose, you should make certain that the GPU option (let's just use the example of the Nvidia GPUs) should have a USB-C port directly off the GPU card panel. This will future proof your GPU for the fastest path when/if "Virtual Link"  ever, takes off.

You will notice that some GPU manufacturers will provide this USB-C port on the GPU card and many will not. Sadly, the configuration which I choose, with the "entry level RTX" RTX 2060 Super, does not have this USB-C port off the card itself especially the one provided by Dell.

Having said all that for futureproofing "Virtual Link" support, you can today, easily still run "Oculus Link" of a USB-C port from the system main motherboard. The Oculus Link requirement is a Type C (usually stated as USB-C) connector over USB 3.2 Gen 1 Signaling @ 5 Gbps BW minimum.

So choose your GPU wisely...

No Events found!