Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 29th, 2021 19:00

Aurora R10, boots after switching on mains power without touching the power button.

I recently had issues with a black screen after a reboot which only allowed me to boot up again if I shut down and turned the mains power off then on again but that was finally fixed after resetting the CMOS, replacing the CMOS battery and reseating the GPU and memory.

All has been going well for a few weeks until last week when the PC started booting up when I switch on the mains power before I touch the power button. It still runs OK and appears to be stable and passes all diagnostics. It's running BIOS 2.2.2 and I've now upgraded to Windows 11.

I've tried the following solution without any change:

Ensured all updates have been completed.

Checked BIOS power is set to off after power outage reboot.

Changed location of power cable from power strip to wall socket.

The power button operates normally, quick press for shutdown and long press for emergency shutdown. Power button operates normally if I shut down and then press to turn back on again without cycling mains power.

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Doesn't affect the operation but shouldn't be doing it!

Thanks, Rod

24 Posts

December 10th, 2021 18:00

Hi all,

Looks like we may finally have a fix for this problem. A new update of Alienware Command Centre 4.5.9.0,A00 looks like it's addressed the issue. Early days but I've shut down a few times now and turned off the mains power and after switching it back on I now have to press the machine power button to power up. Ill wait a few days for any feedback before saying this is closed.

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

December 11th, 2021 23:00

Update: Ran Alienware Update and it showed Command Center 5.4.9.0 as an available update (even though it had been updated via the Windows Store automatically) so I let it download and install which failed. I went to the support page and downloaded the update and installed it.

This morning, turned on power and no boot until the button was pressed. So hopefully the problem is sorted here too .

What a weird piece of software command center is

24 Posts

October 29th, 2021 22:00

Thanks for the reply and at least I'm not alone and it certainly does sound like a BIOS issue so I guess we wait for the next release. The only positive is that everything else appears to be running smoothly but it would be good to have this glitch fixed.

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

October 29th, 2021 22:00

My R10 has started doing the exact same thing, also running BIOS 2.2.2. Have carried out the same steps including turning off wake on LAN but it still turns on when first plugged into power. As you say runs perfectly fine and can be turned on and off with no issue. Unplug from power and re-plug in and it auto turns on again. Didn't know what to think but seeing as I'm not alone in this I now suspect a BIOS issue

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

October 30th, 2021 01:00

I’ve had support reach out and they are suggesting rolling back the BIOS to 2.1.3 but I am loathe to attempt that with all the issues of bricked R10s caught up in in 2.2.1 to 2.1.3 rollbacks and machines re-updating and bricking again. My machine works fine on 2.2.2 except for the auto startup on plugging into power. 
anyway their instructions are:

Could you please attempt to perform a BIOS roll back to version 2.1.3 using the steps below.

1. Power off the system and disconnect the AC adapter.
2. Press and hold the CTRL+ESC keys on the keyboard.
3. Connect the AC adapter while and power on the system while holding down the keys.
4. Release CTRL+ESC after you see the BIOS recovery screen
5. Select Rollback BIOS in the BIOS recovery screen.

24 Posts

October 30th, 2021 02:00

They've asked me to reset the BIOS but as soon as you plug the power back in it just boots back into windows even with the Esc and Ctrl keys held down so no luck there.

They suggested I remove all attached devices and reboot .... no difference there either.

Also replace the CMOS battery which I did just a few weeks ago.

1 Rookie

• 

38 Posts

October 30th, 2021 04:00

I think I’ll leave it be for now, it’s a minor annoyance

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

October 30th, 2021 10:00

I used to have a similar problem with the R10 auto booting each day, although I had that feature disabled in the bios.

Try this:

- Enter bios and set it to power on after a power loss

- Save setting and reboot

- Enter bios again, this time set it to not power on after a power loss

- Save and reboot

See if that fixes it. I have noticed that sometimes after a bios update the bios will read settings as on, even when they are shown to be off. Toggling them from on to off will set them in the correct state.

24 Posts

October 30th, 2021 15:00

Starting to feel the same way, it's been escalated to the internal team but not keen to rock the boat too much! If I get a result I'll let you know.

24 Posts

October 30th, 2021 15:00

Hi Vanadiel,

Thanks for the input but I had already tried toggling the power option in BIOS without success but just tried again and again no result although I did switch to 'on' and after a reboot then shutdown and power off I did then have to press the power button to switch back on but next time ....must have been a one off because back as it was again so I reset the power in BIOS back to off  but no result.

Very frustrating and it certainly feels like a BIOS niggle. It's one of those issues that isn't affecting normal operation and I'm happy with windows 11 so not sure how far I push it when it may be resolved with another BIOS update.

Regards, Rod

1 Message

November 22nd, 2021 16:00

I'm having the same issue here, have you had any luck? I've also tried @Vanadiel's suggestion and that did not work for me either.

24 Posts

November 22nd, 2021 17:00

Basically NO ...... after several weeks Dell told me I would have to send it to a repair centre to have the BIOS downgraded to an earlier version. When I asked why I couldn't do it I was told .... They use different tools there to be able to downgrade the BIOS and these are not available to the public, reason why if you perform the downgrade on your own, most likely it would not take effect. After then being told to remove all sensitive date and carefully wrap and box the system before taking it to a post office and send to a service centre somewhere I told them I wasn't prepared to wait for weeks (or longer with Covid delays) and I'd leave it till another BIOS release which, hopefully, will fix the issue!

Other than my computer bursting into life when I forget and switch on to charge my phone the system works smoothly when up and running so I'll bide my time.

Sorry that doesn't help much and I got no response from Dell when I mentioned that the Dell Australia service centre mentions coming out to fix problems if the technician can't troubleshoot the problem on the phone!

Regards, Rod

7 Posts

December 1st, 2021 04:00

Hi all. I got this issue since I upgraded to Windows 11. I downgraded BIOS to 2.2.1, but it just keeps powering up by itself when the power strip is on. I sincerely think that Windows 11 may cause some this issue. Are you all on Windows 11?

Also started to have some audio sync issues with Youtube, Netflix, etc.

Anyone has any progress about this?

24 Posts

December 1st, 2021 13:00

Hi athersan,

Yes mine also started after installing Windows 11 but couldn't see any connection as it's starting from cold so I've always assumed a BIOS power issue??

Other than I don't have to press the power button on the machine to turn it on it seems to be running OK otherwise, one of those niggly issues that we hope will correct itself unless someone comes up with a fix in the meantime.

Thanks for the input, Rod

7 Posts

December 1st, 2021 13:00

Since Alienware Command Center and other Dell plugins have some weird integration that has permissions to alter BIOS settings, I think that the software has some conflicts with Windows 11. Performance settings are locked in BIOS as soon as I open the AWCC software and reboot, and must do a restore to default settings in order to be able to change them again. I will do a full Windows 10 fresh install this weekend. My fault for upgrading so soon.

Thanks Rod

No Events found!