Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2020 19:00

Aurora R10, brand new, Windows won't start

Hi Folks, 

First time poster here (though I have owned Alienware PCs and laptops since 2011!). This was the first time I have an issue bad enough to warrant reaching out to everyone here (hoping you can have some suggestions). 

Got my brand new Aurora Ryzen Edition last week. Every time I power down the PC and start it back up, it will show the Alienware logo and then nothing....(I can see the HDD light flashing in the back) but nothing on the screen. If I hold the power button down 10 seconds (to force shutdown) and start it, it will tell me that Windows did not start correctly. If I restart from there, the PC loads. 

I have already updated the bios to 1.08 and ran the Alienware internal diagnostics (F12) and all tests passed. 

Is there a bios setting for the nvme ssd that I should be using? 

Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

November 20th, 2020 22:00

@PhillySim Have you tried disabling windows fast startup in control panel / power options?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 10th, 2020 23:00

Sounds like a bad SSD or the machine did not get imaged properly at factory.

Time to call Dell.

Since it passes ePSA, if you are handy, you can try:

1. Using Recovery Console

2. Reinstalling Windows-10 64bit ISO on flash-drive, created from microsoft.com.

IIRC, you have 20 days to decide on whether you want to keep it or not.

41 Posts

November 11th, 2020 03:00

Yeah, definitely call Dell. I have a similar issue, my R10 will sometimes fail to boot, just showing a black screen with no logo. If I do the long power button hold to shut it off then try again it restarts fine but I don't get any indication from Windows that it failed the first time. 

My semi-educated guess is that this motherboard is not good and will be the next thing I replace (already had to liquid cool the CPU due to lava high temps). 

Best of luck to you on getting this resolved!!

4 Posts

November 13th, 2020 09:00

Exactly! That's whats happening to mine as well. This didn't happen straight away. But after 3 days. Now, it appears everytime I power it down, it happens. 

It posts (and I can access the bios) for the 1 or 2 seconds that the Alienware logo displays. But right after that, its black screen and a stasis mode. I feel like either the mobo / processor or GPU is not being detected properly, resulting in the pc going into stasis and not moving to load the SSD/windows. 

Will be calling dell next week. This system was supposed to be taken advantage of during the holidays. Now it seems all that time will go towards trying to haggle with dell for a replacement. 

4 Posts

November 20th, 2020 20:00

So I'm adding an update here in case anyone else is having similar issues. 

I realized that as long as I set the refresh rate to 60hz and keep hdr off (while resolution is still 3840 x 2160), windows loads fine (from a cold boot). 

If I keep hdr on (and / or 120hz) this happens every time the system is turned on: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/snwvivfn05cfo7z/PXL_20201120_232932838.mp4?dl=0

I have reinstalled windows, tried the latest bios, updated the micron SSD firmware and multiple hdmi cables and ports, but the problem still persists. 

I have also seen that if I quickly enter bios (when the pc is just starting up) and restart the unit after exiting the bios, windows loads fine (even at 4k, hdr 120hz). 

4 Posts

November 21st, 2020 09:00

This was the perfect solution! Thank you so much @r72019 ! To imagine all that hassle because of one small setting in Windows. 

LG OLED and 3080 boots perfectly now in 120hz and full hdr.

6 Posts

October 25th, 2021 08:00

I had a similar problem and they replaced the motherboard to fix it.

No Events found!