Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2020 17:00

Aurora R10, where to buy the 1000W PSU?

I recently got a Aurora R10 3800X, 5700XT but only with a 550W PSU. I want to try a different GPU and I think i want more breathing space of the PSU. I have not found the part number, and even more important where to buy it?

Anyone has upgraded the PSU of an Aurora R10 either with dell or third party PSUs?

34 Posts

September 27th, 2020 19:00

@Anonymous 

Many thanks. I order one like the one you suggested Seasonic but went for 850watt, I figure it is very unlikely I will push anything close to 1000watt and as I understand it, the efficiency of the PSU is not that good when you are seriously underutilizing the capacity.

one question, very basic, to unplug the PSU I basically have to unplug 4 cables 1) 24-pin, 2) 8-pin CPU, 3) GPU cables, 4) SATA power (I am using one 3.5in)....am I missing anything obvious? many thanks.... I hope the PSU arrives tomorrow.

2.2K Posts

September 27th, 2020 20:00

Zip ties included in abundance in Seasonic box.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 27th, 2020 23:00

The R10 does not have an option for an internal optical drive.  The front plastic facia has no opening so the optical drive was discontinued with the r8. 

34 Posts

September 28th, 2020 16:00

Just to share, mission was a sucess few photos here: https://imgur.com/a/cGbBwoZ

thanks to all the help from @r72019 @Anonymous @GTS81 

I need to go back and try to make it tighter but I will first test stability all night and polish tomorrow.  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 28th, 2020 17:00

@jdrodrig    Just to share, mission was a sucess few photos

Great Job! That should clean up nicely when you have time. That SATA cable looks really long. Is that the shortest one that came in the set? Also, consider removing the empty SSD cages on the bottom. They are just blocking air flow. Thanks for sharing the photos.

34 Posts

September 28th, 2020 19:00

Thanks, that is the plan indeed. I did not find shorter cables but I will check again.

On the cages, I might move the 3.5in to the bottom and remove the other, and in the empty 3.5in do the additional fan trick you guys were telling me about with the Y split... I guess a bottom fan pushing air up, would not make much sense as there is no where to pull hair from, correct?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 28th, 2020 20:00

@jdrodrig    I might move the 3.5in to the bottom and remove the other, and in the empty 3.5in do the additional fan trick you guys were telling me about with the Y split... I guess a bottom fan pushing air up, would not make much sense as there is no where to pull hair from, correct?

I would move the SSD to the bottom rear and add the top front intake fan. It looks like you have a full length graphics card, so not much air is going to circulate 'up' from the bottom intake fan. Also, you have a blower style graphics card, so you can stand a little less air flow on the bottom. The pictures of the R10 front shroud are not very good in the service manual, but it looks to me like two front intake fans will pull in more air than one front intake fan. Even if they were only pulling in the same amount of air as one fan, distributing some of that air flow to the top half will help cool some of the important components located in that portion of the chassis.

34 Posts

September 28th, 2020 21:00

@Anonymous thanks again. I just tried and had partial success. removing the 2.5in bays was trivial, so now more air flow but as you said trapped by the GPU at least from going toward the memory which is the main component right now not being actively cooled. i removed the 3.5in cage but it does not really fit in the space of the 2.5in, there is like half a centimeter of the metallic cage that would enter in contact with the motherboard, and I would rather not have that.

so for now, I put back the 3.5in to have the machine functional, I can either just use the 3.5in in an external enclosure or find a 2tb or 4tb SSD and use that instead (of course a 4TB ssd might cost more than what I paid for the system). in the mean time I will find a fan to put in the space of the 3.5in cage. I guess right now the HDD is enjoying fresh air but at the expense of the memory and chipset.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 28th, 2020 22:00

Awesome, nice photos! @jdrodrig  That is a good sized PSU with a lot of room to spare for cable management! 

2.2K Posts

September 28th, 2020 23:00

@jdrodrig @Anonymous :

Yep, the SATA cable is THAT long. Drives me nuts too. Will make 1-to-1 cables for my 2 SATA drives after I'm done with other projects.

No Events found!