Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 1st, 2020 11:00

Aurora R11, RTX 3090, compatible?

Hello, I have an Alienware R11, and am considering upgrading the graphics card to an RTX 3090, I have a Dual RTx 2070 Super right now. will the Rtx 3090 fit, will it work, can it be connected to my current rig?

5 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 11:00

@_person_ This is my first post, and I'm still new to PC gaming.  So please bare with me.  Also my post is referring to the Founders Edition Ampere cards, not after market ones.  I haven't done any reserch on them, and thus, can not speak on them

After doing some research last night and today, I have come to this conclusion.  It seems that the only Ampere card that will fit in the R11, will be the RTX 3070.  It is the only 30 series card that is short enough in length to fit.  I remember reading that the overall card length that could fit in the R11, had to be 280mm or shorter.  Anything longer would hit the fans in the front of the case.  The RTX 3070 is only 242mm long according to Nvidia's website.  When it comes to the width, the RTX 3070 is actually narrower that the founders edition RTX 2080ti. So assuming that the RTX 20 series graphics cars that Alienware is putting into the R11 aren't narrower than the Founders Edition graphics cards, the RTX 3070 should fit. (Just for reference the RTX 3070 is 112mm wide.) Also it is two slots thick. So there is no problem there either.

As far as power is concerned the RTX 3070 requires one PCIe 8pin.  The 1000W PSU has four (6+2) connectors if I remember correctly, and the 500w PSU has two (6+2) pin connectors.  However 500w might not be enough power. The 1000w will be more than enough though.

When it comes to the exhaust air coming off the card, people are saying that the fans face up, and will be dumping hot air on to the PSU, or that there is a vent on the side of the card, and it will be dumping hot air onto the swing arm. However when looking at the RTX 3070 we can see that the fans would be facing down towards the bottom of the case and we can also see that there is no side exhaust. This leads me to believe that the exhaust is blown out the back of the card where all the HDMI and Display ports are. In conclusion the fans are facing down, sucking cool air from the front case fan, and expelling in out the back of the machine. (Just for reference the R11 pulls cool air from the front and expells the got air out of the top, side, and rear.)

To wrap things up, as of now, I don't see any reason why the fonders edition RTX 3070, wouldn't fit into the Aurora R11. The RTX 3080 and 3090 will not fit though, because they are to long in length. I know that this is a bummer for alot of people because the 3080 and 3090 are absolute power houses, but they are forgetting that the 3070 is as well. Nvidia says that it is more powerful than the RTX 2080ti and it cost less than half of it. Also remember that there is a possibility of some after market 3080s and 3090s being shorter. I hope that this shed some light on the situation. If I have forgotten anything or said something that isn't true, I apologize. Like I said I am fairly new to computer gaming.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 1st, 2020 11:00

@_person_ 

FE is 285mm long, so no 

9 Posts

September 1st, 2020 12:00

Thanks for the reply. Do you think the 3080 will fit? Also I have an R11, so the case looks something more akin to a jet turbine rather than a standard rectangular case, for in the picture the case looked vastly different then mine.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@_person_ 

The RTX 3080 is 285mm long . . . the RTX 3090 is 313mm long  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

The RTX 3070 will fit @ 242mm long . . . as long as the 112mm width works.

You will have to do mods like this guy did

2.2K Posts

September 1st, 2020 13:00

But the upward fan will blow air against the swing arm and bounce the heat back down onto the card...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 1st, 2020 16:00

@GTS81    But the upward fan will blow air against the swing arm and bounce the heat back down onto the card...

That is an excellent observation  

9 Posts

September 1st, 2020 17:00

So it seems that none of the Ampere cards will work due to the upwards facing fans and some being too long? , i wish i could return my pc now xd, didnt think that ampere would be such a leap

2.2K Posts

September 1st, 2020 17:00

I've spent the day checking out AIB cards from Zotac and EVGA websites. All are chunky too. Although rumor has it that waterblocks could be smaller than ever because NVIDIA actually made the PCB smaller.

2.2K Posts

September 1st, 2020 18:00

Maybe wait it out to see what Dell does with Aurora PCs and Ampere? Plus 3070 looks small enough to get some clearance in space.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 12:00

@Cotsam    When it comes to the exhaust air coming off the card, people are saying that the fans face up, and will be dumping hot air on to the PSU, or that there is a vent on the side of the card, and it will be dumping hot air onto the swing arm.

I believe most of those comments were specifically addressing the back-side fan on the RTX 3080/3090 cards.

This leads me to believe that the exhaust is blown out the back of the card where all the HDMI and Display ports are.

This may be true, but there is no photo of the back end of the card to confirm, and no schematic showing the air flow regime, as there is with the other 2 cards. Based on the few photos, the fans are definitely facing down, which is good.

From this photo, I am not sure if the portion of the card in the red circle is solid or vented.

image.png

5 Posts

@Anonymous  You make a good point.  That portion circled in red could be vented, and therefor could be the exhaust.  I hope that's not the case, because if it is it will be dumping that hot air onto the PSU/swing arm, and bouncing it back into the card.  Although if that is the vent, maybe it is far enough out and over to not blow hot air on to it.  We may have to wait for Zotac or some other brand to make a blower version of the 3070.  They have made them for the past generations of cards.

5 Posts

@maniac886 Yes, hopefully they will!  They did make miniature cards of the 20 series for smaller builds.  

6 Posts

@Cotsam 

Yes that’s my understanding, 3070 will fit but we may see smaller versions of the 3080/3090 graphics cards.

No Events found!