Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

118 Posts

November 25th, 2020 19:00

Aurora R11, black, adding the 3rd LED light zone (halo around the Tron light)?

I like my R11 (black case). However, the black case came with only 2 LED light zones from Dell Alienware:

alienware_aurora_r11_featured.jpg

According to Dell's service manual, "Removing the front bezel" and "Removing the front AlienFX LED board", it is likely possible that the front bezel halo plastic insert can be replaced with an LED one made for the Lunar Light case:

Screenshot from Screenshot from "Removing the front bezel", showing how the cables are connected

Screenshot from Screenshot from "Removing the front AlienFX LED board", showing that the LED board can be replaced

Currently, Dell's Alienware Aurora R11 Parts & Upgrades page doesn't sell replacement parts. I don't mind buying OEM. Does anyone have information about how and where to order such parts?

I hope configuring the motherboard(?) and the Alienware Command Center (AWCC) to work with a 3rd AlienFX light zone wouldn't be too hard. 

Thanks everyone in advance!

November 30th, 2020 02:00

If Dell is absolutely not interested in selling Aurora R11 replacement parts, I don't mind buying a use Lunar White R11 case-only from a computer scrap vendor, one day (just to get the front panel needed for 3 LED light zones). But I am interested in whether this will actually work.

71 Posts

November 30th, 2020 18:00

I am curious about this as well. I prefer the DSOTM option, didn't realize it didn't have the same lighting zones as the Lunar Light version. Now realizing that I still would have picked the DSOTM option.

9 Posts

January 8th, 2021 23:00

Im in the same boat. 

Really like the darkside case but lust for the LED from the lunar.

Cant understand why they would not sell the parts?

What if I cracked my plastics moving the system or something?

9 Posts

March 4th, 2021 04:00

I just traded some parts with a Mining person for a Lunar White R11.

When it all arrives I will see if it can be done and post my results

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2021 13:00

I recently bought the white lunar light, if anyone wants to buy the front led lights and side panel lights, give me a text: 408-412-3591.

April 6th, 2021 20:00

Did it work?!?

Please say yes!!!

4 Posts

April 18th, 2021 14:00

Update: this offer isn't available anymore!

33 Posts

April 19th, 2021 11:00

If anyone needs the part #'s,

N1C1D vrm heatsink
Y72dh right tron light bar
HMPJK front alienfx led

I got the #'s from Dell customers support. Hope this helps. 

April 20th, 2021 05:00

Thank you for the detailed parts list above.  What is the heatsink for?  I didn't think that would be needed to just add the 2 parts for the side and front LED strips?   Many thanks for posting the part numbers and I too would like to add those 2 LED strips after the fact and will give this a try. 

April 20th, 2021 05:00

On the parts list above, what is the heatsink for?  I didn't think that would be needed to just add the 2 parts for the side and front LED strips?   Many thanks for posting the part numbers and I too would like to add those 2 LED strips after the fact and will give this a go. 

33 Posts

April 21st, 2021 12:00

The vrm heatsink are use to cool the vrms next to the cpu. Not needed for the lights

I just ordered the front alienfx and vrm heatsink from Dell. They are out of the side led bar:( wish me luck that it works.

Total cost is $30.

Should get those parts by this week. 

May 8th, 2021 02:00

Have you gotten your alienfx led? Does those work on your Alienware Aurora? I got my R10 this week, I should have done some research on the Chassis. Very disappointing that the black chassis is missing those leds.

24 Posts

May 24th, 2021 08:00

Anyone had any luck with this?

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

May 24th, 2021 08:00

I'm wondering the same thing.

Someone gave part numbers which is nice, but does the controller board come with all needed connections or do you have to buy more than the front and side LEDs? Like what else is needed to accomplish this.

30 Posts

May 25th, 2021 01:00

@D-pt  @Terianx  @ZeroIsaacSama  @Gilly11277 

The mother board needs to be Set to Lunar light.

I recently had a board replaced.

The tech did not set the color in the initial settings in the bio.

This produced on start all LED working in default Blue light.

But in the AWCC the machine was depicted by a Dark side black unit. ( My Machine is a Lunar light)

This is on my R11 that I purchased as a bare bones from a scum bag crypto miner.

Ok so the machines are coded to allow led zones specific to there chassis color so to speak.

But good news.

My R9 (Dark Side Machine) had its mobo was replaced after a VRM issue.

The Tech at the time asked me what color to set it to.

Knowing the color issue from my other machine I asked for it to be Set to Lunar light.

And Bingo the AWCC has the machine depicted as a Lunar light Chassis and gives the option for the extra side panel light control.

I had experimented with panels from the R11 previously but could not get the AWCC to see or activate them.

Long story short time.

You Need the Mother board setting to Lunar Light if you want any more LED zones.

No Events found!